Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renegade idler pulley replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aircooledboy
Hey boys,

I've been in full lurker mode for a quite while, but don't worry, I've been keeping an eye on your shenanigans. monkeydance.gif

My serpentine belt on the V8 was about 3 years old, so while I was tweaking a few things, I decided I might as well replace that while I was underneath. Well, that little bit of preventative maintance bit me right in the ass, as the new belt shreaded at about 6k rpm and wrapped itself around every possible pulley in the assembly and ate up the 2 nylon tensioner pulleys. mad.gif

I love the crew at Renegade, but as usual, my emails to them have gone unanswered, so I am in a jam trying to source some replacements.
Anybody have any idears? beerchug.gif
SLITS
They have been working on 'puters and the email system was unavailable. I just sent them a message with a link to this thread. I am sure you will get a reply.
Toast
Hey there aircooledboy.
As per what Slits said, my personal email account was down at Renegade only for short spurts on Monday, June 6th.
All other email addresses through Renegade Hybrids (ie: info@renegadehybrids.com and scott@renegadehybrids) were and are working in full order.

I checked the backlog for three months and did not find an email from the address that you have listed on your username.

Please contact me at melba@renegadehybrids.com, or call us at 866-498-2421.

We would be glad to help you in every way possible.

Have you check your alignments? ie: water pump, pully, ect?

toast.gif
aircooledboy
Toast, I didn't know you were with Renegade (?). Melba-Toast, now that's funny. w00t.gif (I thought I sent it from home, but it might have been a work email account I sent my Q from. I know for sure I sent a wiring Q from this account in the last month or two that was also unanswered)

Anyway, thankfully I was finally able to get a guy at my genuinely friendly LAPS to open a few dozen boxes and we were able to find a perfect match. I just came in from the shop and putting my baby back together and she is purring like a kitten.

I would like to know what is this "alignment checking" of which you speak? idea.gif Seriously, I didn't know such a thing needed to be done. What is the proper way to do that? I've still got a little cold squeak.
LvSteveH
Basically you need to verify that all your idlers, accessories, and harmonic balancer are in good alignment. Keep in mind that when the belt is highly tensioned it can pull the mounting plates out a little. So for instance, if your waterpump is a little too far out at rest, then it could pull it out even further when you tension it.

I think there is also a tendency to over tighten the belt. When in doubt, check to see how tight the belt is on a factory serpentine package on just about any late model car. Just make sure to compare an equal distance between the pulleys.
Toast
Yeah, what he said. I understand how things work and can fix things, but I don't do too well at explaining them to someone else. prop.gif

Glad you got everything handled Chris. cheer.gif
(Yeah, I'm here at Renegade. What better place for a 914Girl to work in the dirty rotten stinkin desert?)

toast.gif
aircooledboy
Sonnova b. . . . .

After I button her up last night, took it around the block (my block is 5 mi. around), and all seemed good. Like I said, it had a squeak for the first minute or 2, but it was quite after she warmed up, and since I think maybe my belt blowed hup when I overtightened it trying to lose the squeak a couple days ago (sound familiar Steve?), I decide I can live with it for now.

Intended to drive it to the office today, so I start her up, and it doesn't sound "smooth". By the time I get to the end of the drive, I smell rubber. headbang.gif I can't sniff around too much in full monkey suit, so back into the shop she goes. I don't know what the hell is going on now. There is so little clearance to see up front, I may need to drop the whole smash to get a better look at whether everything is lined up.

Not a huge deal, but I need another chore right now like a I need a wicked dose of the clap. dry.gif Piss. I just want to drive the damn car. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.