Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition cutout at 3000 rpm on my 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenschipper
Noticed this on a 600 mile trip last week. When running between 2,800 and 3,200 rpm in any gear, I will get a very quick miss. Happens intermitantly mabye every 20-200 seconds. Sometimes 2-3 in a row. You can barely feel it but you can see the tach swing wildly when it happens. Stopped for an hour at one point and did not notice it again for about 15 minutes so it may be heat related. Temperature that day was in upper 80's so not real hot.

I remember some discussions regarding coils in the past but not sure if this is a symptom.

Original 2.0 six, completely stock.
Project 6
Could be a sign that the Bosch CDI box is starting to go....or the coil. Swap in a new coil....It's the cheaper of the two.

I can bench test your box and rebuild or swap for a rebuilt one if the coil doesn't do the job.
charliew
I'm not familiar with your application but if it uses points to trigger the cdi, I would try new points as the spring may be fractured or weak letting the points bounce.
sixnotfour
I'm not familiar with your application but if it uses points to trigger the cdi, I would try new points as the spring may be fractured or weak letting the points bounce.

check your point gap.
Borderline
Ken, I had a similar thing happen to a ...hhmmmmm English car some years ago and it turned out to be a loose connection on the coil. The Lucas coil had the spade terminals attached with rivets. The rivets eventually loosened up just enough to make the engine miss a beat once in a while. Later it quit all together. Similar thing on an old comet I had in high school. Check all your 12V connections. Start the car up in the dark and look around, sometimes you can see a small spark at the bad connection.
charliew
The dark idea is a great troubleshooting technique. I forgot about that. The plug wires sometimes will amaze you that they still work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.