Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Drop Info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buhs914
Ok so i really need to drop the engine and fix some oil leaks and some cleaning and rust repair and this is my first engine drop in a 914 (did one in my dad's beetle, real easy). I might have access to a lift in the fall but if i wanted to do it in my garage what all would i need? I have everything i need when it comes to tools i just need some input on what other things i'll need. like jacks, jack stands, etc?
McMark
Look here
GeorgeRud
If you've dropped a VW engine, you've got the basics down already, just turn the engine around! Good solid jackstands and a good floorjack are needed. You have to be able to raise the rear of the car high enough to be able to slide the engine out the back, so it does have to be fairly high. Removing the rear valance makes it a bit easier.

Otherwise, just start removing connections and control components one by one. Just remember the ground strap above the transmission, it's easy to forget. They were engineered to be fairly easy to remove, so just take your time. The procedures are outlined in any of the manuals if you need help.
zonedoubt
I bought an inexpensive tranny jack from Princess Auto (Canadian version of Harbor Freight). It made the drop quite easy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.