Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: drawbacks of DIY projects ;(
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I guess I should stick to Mechanical components and leave the electriacal to the professionals, LOL

I'm in the process of building a DRO (digital read out) for one of my machines at home.....

I did something wrong here, hahahaha
When I built my Megasquirt, I popped a few components as well, but I was able to trace those back to user error (mine)
TimT
LOL BTDT

I just finished a Tech Edge WBO2 sensor.... the board looked perfect.... till I looked closely at it... a few bridges, and a pin that missed the socket..

fixed all that and the thing works fine!!

That smoke looks a bit more serious though mueba.gif
SirAndy
ahhh, the good old hobby-electronics "cancer-cloud".

just take a deep breath ...
Andy
nebreitling
LMAO!

i can relate -- sometimes i think my life is one long DIY project gone bad...
Britain Smith
Let me know when you have to do stuff like this Mike. I spent my entire high school career soldiering circuit boards with thousands of conections.

-Britain
Bruce Allert
.....there goes all the magic smoke happy11.gif

.........b
jonwatts
I like how the first thing that comes to mind is for you to grab your camera.
Katmanken
Umm

One of those good expensive soldering irons can go a long way towards making a sucessful solder joint.

One of those units with a big seperate power box and a cord going to the iron.

They get hot enough to make the solder joint quickly without toasting the electrical components.

Right tool for the right job!

Ken
brant
magic smoke... ha..

that what I tell the IT department at work...
"the magic leaked out in a big puff of smoke"

it gets them to your office pretty fast.
brant
Mueller
found out the problem (user error, what else?) smile.gif

the +/- silkscreen gets covered up when the header is soldered to the board....I made the a$$umtion that the square pad was the positive.......or at least it looked square from the non-component side.... wacko.gif

Ken,

brand new Hakko ESD soldering station

I like how the first thing that comes to mind is for you to grab your camera.

I unplugged it first, then went and got my camera and plugged it back in to take the picture.... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.