Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: blinking headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srthompson01
tommorrow my fiance and I leave for our our marriage and honeymon in Eureka Springs Arkansas, home of narrow windy roads, beautiful mountain scenery, cool mountains, in my.......................
.honda accord.

My beloved 914 developed a blinkng problem severe enough to keep it parked. DAMN IT!!!!!!!!

The headlights open-close-open-close whenever the lights are turned on. Inspection showed no obvious problems, but the pull switch on the dash that turns on the lights was wicked hot to the touch, and the rear license lamp is always on. My first instinct is to replace the switch, but unless Pelican developed 2-hour cross country shipping I'm screwed.

If anyone has any advice please weigh in. THe clock is ticking.

Oh yeah, which relay is the one for the headlight motors?

I have spare relays.

Steve
type2man
Mine did that and it turned out the be the mounting bolts were loose on the side of the headlight motor causing it to open and close. I guess there is a trigger on the motor to stop it in the up position but if the motor is loose, it gets triggered to close???
srthompson01
thanks,

but they are tight.

found the relay, swapped it and its good.

running out of options
RJMII
What year is your car?

Did you check for fuses being loose? which side is it?

Oh, and congrats on the wedding and such. =o)
RJMII
oh, I just re-read... this sounds like a short to ground.
thtiming
My 72 did something similar. When I turned off the lights the driver side light would blink up and down. I simply replaced the relay on that side and it solved the problem.

It could be possible that both of your relays decided to crap out at the same time.

charliew
If the switch is hot, I bet it's contacts are burned creating high amperage draw and the extra heat.

Have you added higher amperage lights?

You can try to jumper around the switch and see how many amps the lights are using and if it's not more than normal it's just the switch opening when it gets too hot. When the switch opens it lets rhe lights close.
MBowman325
Both sides do this? Do the lights stay on or do they just run up and down?

If so, then I'd think it's not the lamps / motors. Pull one relay, try it. Reinstall and repeat on other side. Any changes?

Fuses aren't a bad thing to double check, they're easy. I have a problem with my gauge fuse blowing and then creating a high resistance connection as the two halves of metal barely touch. I know there's 4 fuses for lights, would need to go look what's there for the motors..

Any changes leading up to this? how's your ground look? No circuit breakers?

Can't offer anything of major use... Good luck and don't be late. smile.gif
904svo
Temp fix is to remove fuse #12. Then turn the knob on the headlight motor
assy and put the light up, do this to both headlights.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(904svo @ Jul 14 2009, 03:03 PM) *

Temp fix is to remove fuse #12. Then turn the knob on the headlight motor
assy and put the light up, do this to both headlights.

And wory about the car after the "honeymoon" wears off
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.