Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help where to attach a egr tube to muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I'm helping a friend smog a 76 914. I have everything connected and working except I don't have the tubing that bolts to the firewall and goes to the muffler. I have placed a wanted ad for the tubing.
IPB Image
Question: The muffler on the car is not stock but does have a CAT ( looks like a bursch exhaust with a CAT between the two mufflers) and the appropriate sensor in the CAT. However, it does not have a port to bolt the egr tube to the muffler.

Does someone have a picture showing where this tube connects...I'll have to weld a flange. Not to sure if it goes on the CAT or on the muffler????
Can't tell from picture perspective below.
IPB Image
Derek Seymour
On both the stock and Bursch exhaust it comes off the secondary muffler. Due to pipe length difference the stock comes straight off...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Derek Seymour
and the Bursch is curved.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
computers4kids
Derek,
Thank you for your help...your pictures clarify the location. I went ahead and made the egr tube from the firewall to the muffler with the proper flanges. Now, I belive I'm good to go to the DMV and smog station.

What is the likelyhood a stock, low mileage 76 with FI will pass the emissions test? I normally just go to the "Test Only" places, but if I'm going to have to fiddle with the ECU knob and timing to get it to pass, then I better pony-up for the full smog station.

Thanks again,
Derek Seymour
If you have all of the equipment hooked up ie: EGR, SMOG Pump and Cat then it really shouldn't be a problem. These cars will actually pass the emissions test even wothout the SMOG Pump, but of course everything has to be stock original for it to pass so you have to have one on.

Make sure your vacuum lines are really tight andt the EGR valve is cleaned of any carbon build-up. Where they usually fail is the EGR test because removing the vaccum line to the valve doesn't produce enough of a drop in idle. So then it appears that the valve and related lines are clogged. When in fact it's more likely a loose vaccum hose.

Mine failed at first because of this, but the tech did a quick tweak and it passed the second time. He said that I should clean my EGR lines/Valve and check the manifold for a leak, that's where he thought it was, before I come back in two years. As far as numbers go it ran very clean at stock idle and timing settings. It was just the EGR/Vaccum situation. I went to a full SMOG Station.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.