Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MUSR 10 Run Planning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
pcar916
Hi Folks,
This thread is specifically for run planning. I'll be updating it with pre-run information as it is planned / executed over the next two weeks.

JT's car is back and mine will be ready by tonight or tomorrow (aux-oil cooler blow-out). Phone numbers for Little Rock Folks...

Ron: 501.425.0963
J.T.: cell: 501.831.3953
home: 501.213.0253

The first pre-run will be Sunday, July 19th, the day after the SCCA AX at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock.

I know Ken, and perhaps Donald, want to come for that weekend if the Porsche 250 doesn't trump it! Glad to have ya'll here.

There might be a bit of spontaneous driving subject to my weekday opportunities, and I'll transmit a day ahead if it's gonna happen.

Call anytime with questions.

Ron

Hey Ron,

Don and I were thinking about SCCA AX in LR on Saturday. BUT we would rather be doing Pre-Runs tho.

If you think we would be better off doing two days scouting we are all in. Figure one route on Sat and the other on Sun if you and JT have Sat free.

I'm thinking Diamond run should be the trip on Sat of event. On the Fri run we might could get in MtMag and a lot of nice roads?

The night rally might be a good thing to incorporate West Mtn Dr/Snake Mtn Rd/Scenic Loop. Tho that takes us away from hotel quite abit.

Talk to ya'll later in week

KP
ClayPerrine
Make sure you keep the night rally short, less than an hour in total length, and close to the hotel. It has to start and finish at the hotel.

pcar916
Hi Guys,
Ken and Don, I'll call you both tomorrow (Thursday) to do the last minute stuff via phone instead of here since the time lag may bite us. But here's the skinny on the weekend.

Both JT and I have Saturday plans that wash run planning that day, so Sunday is all there is for us. That doesn't mean that you two can't do that though, with map work done before that, and coordination during the day as well. Want to do it, but can't!

Let's talk about that tomorrow and sort it out. Will you two tell me a good time to call each of you. I'll be on two long appointments but can take some time

We have Sunday starting at 9 - 9:30am from Bryant (at the service station we met before) and meeting up with Ken at the intersection of 5 and 7 about 40 minutes later to continue the run.

Eat lunch at the top of Petit Jean and head back on the other route to time it... all the time looking for photo-op places as well.

Are we still thinking about Mt. Magazine? That's a really long way and other events will have to be moved about. That's a real question, I'm good with it all.

Clay, who specifically is planning the rally? I certainly don't know how. Who has the ball on that one?
pcar916
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jul 15 2009, 08:05 PM) *

Clay, who specifically is planning the rally? I certainly don't know how. Who has the ball on that one?

Sorry... I just looked back to the original task list I see that Robyn is doing the rally. Does that mean we pick a route and Robyn does the technical stuff?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jul 15 2009, 11:09 PM) *

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jul 15 2009, 08:05 PM) *

Sorry... I just looked back to the original task list I see that Robyn is doing the rally. Does that mean we pick a route and Robyn does the technical stuff?

Robyn is running the rally. She can't get up there to run the route in advance, so we need ONE of you to find a route of about an hour with lots intersections (not twisty roads) on it. It has to be out in the country so it is dark at night.

Anyone who sees the rally route in advance will not be allowed to run the rally.

This is a Hare and Hound rally. Robyn is the Hare. She zeros her trip odometer, starts a stopwatch, and takes off in her 944 with a passenger. 50 yards before each intersection, she stops and the passenger gets out and plants a red cyanalumid marker on a dowel rod on the side of the road. This indicates to the rally participants that the next intersection will be a change in direction. She then makes the turn and another 50 yards after the intersection, they plant a green cyanalumid marker on a dowel rod on the side of the road. This indicates to the rally participants that they made the correct turn. That is the whole point of the rally, you have to figure out which way to turn. You can't back up, and time counts.

When Robyn finishes the whole route, she writes her mileage and time down. When each competitor starts they get an out time, and when they finish they get a finish time. The team that gets the closest combination of mileage and time, without going under on time, wins the rally.

I will probably be doing the timing for the competitors, so I won't get to run the rally. I would suggest that the person who pre-runs the route be the navigator for Robyn. That way she has someone with her who has already run the route.

Now you see why I want only ONE person to plan the rally route?

hot_shoe914
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jul 15 2009, 11:05 PM) *

Hi Guys,
Ken and Don, I'll call you both tomorrow (Thursday) to do the last minute stuff via phone instead of here since the time lag may bite us. But here's the skinny on the weekend.

Both JT and I have Saturday plans that wash run planning that day, so Sunday is all there is for us. That doesn't mean that you two can't do that though, with map work done before that, and coordination during the day as well. Want to do it, but can't!

Let's talk about that tomorrow and sort it out. Will you two tell me a good time to call each of you. I'll be on two long appointments but can take some time

We have Sunday starting at 9 - 9:30am from Bryant (at the service station we met before) and meeting up with Ken at the intersection of 5 and 7 about 40 minutes later to continue the run.

Eat lunch at the top of Petit Jean and head back on the other route to time it... all the time looking for photo-op places as well.

Are we still thinking about Mt. Magazine? That's a really long way and other events will have to be moved about. That's a real question, I'm good with it all.

Ron you can call me anytime on Thursday, I will make myself available. The time you have listed will be fine for me as I will be spending Saturday night on highway 5 around Baseline road, just 10 minutes from the gas station.
jt914-6
Hey all....Ron, Don, Brittney, Ken, Dana and I had a fun pre-run to Petit Jean Mt. Sun. Found a couple of good routes to run. Brittney took over 800 pics. Ken got some info for our group about eating at the lodge on Petit Jean. On the way back to LR, I showed Ken and Don Hy 298. I kinda think they liked that road!!!!!!

Ken and Don did a pre-run to the diamond mine at Murfreesboro Sat. It would take more than hour to get there and it would take a couple of hours to dig for diamonds. People would have to rent the digging equiptment and would have to have some clothes that could be thrown away afteward. The dirt/mud is very hard to wash out. In my opinion, that trip would take several hours to do. IF done, I think it should be done on Fri. But not sure if that run would be worth it to us. The Petit Jean trip would be good for Sat. as there is a good drive there and back and some great views IMHO. The others may chime in on this too.
Hey Ron and JT and others,

I am sending maps for what my thoughts are on Fri/Sat drive routes to your email Ron. To big to post here.

I believe the drive we made needs to be Friday because of length, lunch and overlooks. Might be even more overlooks on what I have outlined attached Friday Up map.

On Saturday we need to be back by 3 or so for Car Show/banquet so I have included an AM drive with lunch at Jason's around 1. No Diamond Mine just a spirited drive.

Hope you got all the pics, Ron
jt914-6
Ken & others. I think that the Petit Jean run should be Sat. morning. If we get a early start, 7:30ish, we could be there by 11 or so with a stop at Nimrod Dam for pics. Go ahead and have lunch before the lodge got too busy and go to look outs or vise versa. We could be back by 3. IMHO most people would be traveling to HS on Fri. and not have a chance to go to Petit Jean on Fri. Besides, the roads to Petit Jean from HS are VERY 914 friendly!!!!!!Something I think all 914'ers would like to drive.....My .02.......
BTW got the pics from Ron. Thanks for sharing, they were good.......
I'm not oppossed to PJ being Sat. drive.
It will be the crown jewel of the two routes and I was thinking of the time deadline.

Maybe the Car Show should be Fri at 3 or 4 instead of Sat. afternoon if that is not a problem?

A Southern(Diamond Mine) or Western(Queen Willy) route on Fri could be worked out, car show, dinner at Jasons, Night Rally after.

JT...I did think there were a handful of really good pics!

Talk to all later...

Come on Clay..Rusty...lets get this thing advertised.

KP
jt914-6
Ken,
Maybe my thinking was wrong. Will out of state people arrive in HS on Thurs. night or Fri.? The PJ run would be ok for Fri. if most folks arrived Thurs. night. So, I'm not sure when the weekend begins.......
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jul 26 2009, 07:07 AM) *

Ken,
Maybe my thinking was wrong. Will out of state people arrive in HS on Thurs. night or Fri.? The PJ run would be ok for Fri. if most folks arrived Thurs. night. So, I'm not sure when the weekend begins.......

JT...
I believe most people will arrive Thur night? There is something planned Thur night thru Sat night.
They did last year in Hunstville but that is my only experience with these events.

Ken
jt914-6
If people will be arriving Thurs. that is different. I just thought that the most people would be there Sat. morning to make that run. Some long distance people might not make it in 'till Fri. night?
Doesn't really matter to me, I'm just thinking about Sat. being the best day for the most amount of 914'ers there to drive.
Is Don right, will you make Hy. 298 a "short cut" to Hot Springs?????
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jul 27 2009, 07:04 PM) *

Is Don right, will you make Hy. 298 a "short cut" to Hot Springs?????

I may just have to take the "Long Way Home" next time over! That was sure one nice drive!! Thanks again for sharing it....

As far as which day...Yes Saturday everyone should be there but we do have time constraints? If we get rolling early enough that should not be a problem. Also if Car Show could be Friday at 4 or 5 before/after Dinner(Jason's) that would help.
jt914-6
Maybe it'll work out that way with the car show Fri. afternoon.......We'll see.....
ClayPerrine
The event runs Thursday evening through Sunday noon.

I don't know about the car show on Friday. We might miss some people that way.

pcar916
I'm back. More tomorrow morning. Thanks to the group for the excellent run.
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jul 31 2009, 08:27 PM) *

Hey Ron,

I will have some solid run times for the Diamond Mine by next weekend. Will leave time for Mac type lunch if people want and then dinner at Jason's. I will contact them about accomadating us on Friday night.

That would be a good place to start the night rally. It is a little ways out of town.

Ken
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jul 31 2009, 09:41 PM) *

Hey Ron,

I will have some solid run times for the Diamond Mine by next weekend. Will leave time for Mac type lunch if people want and then dinner at Jason's. I will contact them about accomadating us on Friday night.

That would be a good place to start the night rally. It is a little ways out of town.

Ken

We need a printed set of directions for the bailout envelopes and for those who don't want to run the rally.

Starting from the restaurant is OK, but we need to finish at the hotel.
pcar916
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 31 2009, 08:59 PM) *

QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jul 31 2009, 09:41 PM) *

Hey Ron,

Ken

We need a printed set of directions for the bailout envelopes and for those who don't want to run the rally.

Starting from the restaurant is OK, but we need to finish at the hotel.

Thanks Ken, Perfect.

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Aug 1 2009, 12:51 PM) *

Thanks Ken, Perfect.

Ron...Should email you something by Wed or so. It's about 1.5 hrs going no faster than 4th gear both ways.
I will have maps for that route. If you will tell me which leg we are taking to PJ on the North end I will print map for that route also. Large map, small inserts and written directions off Goog.

I will print off the "Bailout Map" for the rally, too. Since I'm the only one that knows where that will be.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Aug 16 2009, 09:21 PM) *

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Aug 1 2009, 12:51 PM) *

Thanks Ken, Perfect.

Ron...Should email you something by Wed or so. It's about 1.5 hrs going no faster than 4th gear both ways.
I will have maps for that route. If you will tell me which leg we are taking to PJ on the North end I will print map for that route also. Large map, small inserts and written directions off Goog.

I will print off the "Bailout Map" for the rally, too. Since I'm the only one that knows where that will be.

Don't just trust Google maps....... After getting the printed directions and maps have a friend run the route from the directions. I have seen Google maps take you down non-existent roads!!

Thanks for all your help.

And Ken.. call me when you get a minute tomorrow. I have a number of questions to ask.

817-360-4067.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.