Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it time to call Eric Shea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porcaddie4
After sitting in the garage for over 3 years my then girlfriend told me to move my 73 1.7 or fix it in order to make room for her boxes. Well, the boxes never made it in the garage but were usefull when I asked her to move it! Now I have a problem with my brakes and need your help.

I have rebuilt the front calipers since they were frozen with rust, replaced the rotors which were out of spec, replaced the top nipples with speed bleeders and purchased a 19mm MC. All went well until it was time to bleed. Here's were I need your help.

My two front calipers along with the left rear bleed just fine but can not get the right rear which was were I started to bleed. I can hear the pressure in the lines and have confirmed the caliper is getting fluid by disconnecting the line to the caliper. Let me meantion that the caliper does not leak at all. Do I need to rebuild the rear calipers or can it be that the proportioning valve is not building enought pressure on that side? What are your thoughts?
ericread
QUOTE(porcaddie4 @ Jul 10 2009, 11:20 AM) *

After sitting in the garage for over 3 years my then girlfriend told me to move my 73 1.7 or fix it in order to make room for her boxes. Well, the boxes never made it in the garage but were usefull when I asked her to move it!

For clarity sake:
1. What was sitting in your garage? You or your 73 1.7?
2. What did you ask your girlfriend to move? Your 73 1.7, the boxes, the girlfriend or the garage?

confused24.gif

jimkelly
what - no pics of ...

the 914

the garage

the boxes

the girlfriend

popcorn[1].gif
tomeric914
QUOTE(porcaddie4 @ Jul 10 2009, 02:20 PM) *

My two front calipers along with the left rear bleed just fine but can not get the right rear which was were I started to bleed. I can hear the pressure in the lines and have confirmed the caliper is getting fluid by disconnecting the line to the caliper. Let me mention that the caliper does not leak at all. Do I need to rebuild the rear calipers or can it be that the proportioning valve is not building enough pressure on that side? What are your thoughts?

The proportioning valve doesn't build pressure, it also isn't the problem because the left rear caliper is able to be bled.

Have you tried removing the bleeder screw from the caliper? I've seen screws plugged right full of rust that won't let any fluid past.

Also check for a pinched or broken line to that side.
porcaddie4
Ha Ha

Eric you are absolutely correct and I should have proof read my thread. Anyways, pictures are on there way but in the meantime I will try what Tomeric914 has pointed out and check the new speed bleeder for that side.

Thanks
Cupomeat
Sure, sure, but still post pix of the girlfriend. happy11.gif
Sleepin
If you DO have to call Eric Shea, make sure it is bright and early! He just LOVES being woke up all early to help some of us out! biggrin.gif laugh.gif
porcaddie4
Well it turned out to be a deffective speed bleeder which was replaced but now I have two brake fluid soaked rear calipers.

Time to call Eric or decide if I want to rebuild myself. headbang.gif
charliew
I could be mistaken but by your previous post I am pretty sure you don't want to try a rear caliper rebuild, it's not as easy as a front caliper. The eb stuff is more complicated than a speed bleeder by far.
tomeric914
QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 10 2009, 08:44 PM) *

I could be mistaken but by your previous post I am pretty sure you don't want to try a rear caliper rebuild, it's not as easy as a front caliper. The eb stuff is more complicated than a speed bleeder by far.

IMHO, the rears are a piece of cake to rebuild as compared to the fronts because the screws used to adjust the venting clearance are also used to push the pistons out of the bores.
davep
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jul 10 2009, 09:03 PM) *

IMHO, the rears are a piece of cake to rebuild as compared to the fronts because the screws used to adjust the venting clearance are also used to push the pistons out of the bores.

Obviously you haven't rebuilt a few dozen calipers or you would have learned that the 914 rears can be a bitch. If you were lucky and the adjusters moved the pistons when you started work on them then you just WON the lottery. I have a dozen rears on the go right now, and I will accept each one as its own special challenge. At least today we can get the parts for them while 30 years ago there were no rebuild parts generally available. I have also made several tools to help disassemble, clean and reassemble the little buggers.
tomeric914
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 12 2009, 09:59 PM) *

Obviously you haven't rebuilt a few dozen calipers or you would have learned that the 914 rears can be a bitch.

Obviously, you don't know me.
Eric_Shea
To rebuild the rears properly it can be quite a bit more challenging than the fronts, especially for a home mechanic.
RJMII
They come back looking all shiny and plated, too.
Cupomeat
Still waiting on the pix of the girlfriend...

The last one posted upped the ante.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.