Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MONSTER Subaru 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Crazyhippy
It's time to move on. Haven't been excited about working on the 914 in quite a while, so it's time to free up the garage.

Quick details,
Car is a 71
Early 911 front suspension w/ A calipers (also have Volvo calipers that are HUGE, but may need a proportioning valve or?)
stock rear brakes, 5 lugs hubs, rotors, no proportioning valve (just a T)
Fake 5 lug fuchs (street rims, not to be used on the track, or w/ super sticky rubber)
I will install New tires (the Kumho's i love are NLA, so not sure what yet)
Stock, good condition Side shift trans, and custom shifter linkage
ALL Renegade conversion (used to work for them, and wont use anyone else) including radiator.
Hot rod turbo motor w/ standalone LINK ECU (STI shortblock, mildly worked WRX heads)

The bad,
Has a 1" rust hole under where the battery tray was, and someone decided they wanted my welder more than I did.
2 or 3 minor rust holes in rear trunk (1/2" max)
Minor rust under front trunk weatherstripping.
The tub is solid and safe, just not perfect.

Interior needs some love (Carpet, doors and seat are not good, dash is cracked, material is peeling, backpad has foam exposed etc)
Paint looks better than most teens, but isn't perfect. it had a low buck re-spray before i got it, and looks good from 5 feet.
Not sure how the struts are, and the shocks should be replaced
Haven't re-calibrated the tach (ship it to North Hollywood Speedo and have it done)
Will need a front bumper rubber. (i was planning on going fiberglass for the weight savings)

It's a good solid car. It will be running and driving very shortly, but I just hung the motor 2 weeks ago, and installed the radiator 10 days ago. Wiring is 95% done, have to swap the gas tank, run radiator lines, and fuel line, install shifter, etc.

When i was giving rides @ Sharps in my yellow car, that was a 2liter motor. This is a 2.5L, and is a BUNCH faster. Most of the So-Cal crew know the old car. This one is similar, but w/ better brakes and suspension.

It is a few days from driving right now, and I just cant get motivated to do it. I can complete, you can complete, I'll trailer it up to Renegade and they can complete, Talk to me.

I'll get pics either tonight or this weekend. It's a Red stock bodied 914, you have seen them before i promise.

Since I need a price, 17K and i'll make it a running, driving car. Can vary up or down depending on what you want done.

BJ Hipskind
BHipskind(at)gmail(dot)com
JoeSharp
Miss you Honey....
Crazyhippy
15K, or trade for the right boat. aktion035.gif

It is currently running, driving, and making guys look bad when the try to show off their fancy new G37 chair.gif I have the complete original interior, but it is mediocre condition at best. I have new carpet (not yet installed) and a good condition front bumper rubber (in pics). I also have a Renegade front spoiler, that has not yet been installed. I went with a MASSIVE (No not Raby MassIVe, just really huge) intercooler, and a stock WRX turbo (makes boost around 1700 RPM, but runs out of breath at 6K)

Plain and simple I'm burnt out on 914's and have no desire to work on it. Time for a new toy smilie_pokal.gif
matthepcat
Very cool bump. I want that motor in my car.

good luck with sale.
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Feb 21 2012, 05:40 PM) *

Very cool bump. I want that motor in my car.

good luck with sale.

Having been around LOTS of ridiculously overpowered 914's (and lesser Porsches) thru Renegade, I can honestly say, this may not be the fastest, but it's far faster than anything on the street should be piratenanner.gif

It sucks because I LOVE the car, but have no desire to work on it. Silly little things like pulling the speaker pods (fiberglass 6.5's with some decent speakers) and door trim so I can install the carpet... Pulling the Tach to ship it off (no tools needed, and still no desire!), etc. I haven't had any motivation since before the original ad was placed (July of 09 headbang.gif ). It would be nice to have the room back in the garage now.

Lets see,

Motor is a stock 03ish STI shortblock (much stronger semi closed chambers, and 2.5 liters) that was balanced and tweaked by John @ Costa Mesa Machine years ago. He also took the heads and "unshrouded the valves" to make them work better with the larger 2.5L bore. Other than a little bit of cleanup, the heads are stock 02-03 WRX. The intake has had the "tumble generator valves" (TGV's) removed, and the shaft holes tapped and plugged. Aside from a little bit of cleanup, and the intake is stock WRX. The Intercooler is a HUGE aftermarket Top Mount, all the piping , and intercooler mount is custom one of stuff, much like the up-pipe, and exhaust (2.5 from the turbo back, a glasspack across the back, where the stock muffler would be, and the tip exits the stock location). It is all controlled by a laptop programmable ECU made by LINK (linkecu.com) The bottom end is built for 400ish HP at the wheels in a AWD WRX (450ish in a 914), but the small turbo and Cams (all 4 of them) mean this motor should put out 300-325 @ the wheels in this car.

The transmission has been swapped to a side shift. It has fresh (3 years, but only 500 miles mad.gif ) bushings thru out, and is filled with synthetic gear oil. There is a minor leak @ the speedo drive gear, and possibly the shift selector seal (3" puddle in a month) Axles are stock (and a spare set are included with the car), and I haven't broken a pair yet (hooray skinny tires aktion035.gif )

The rest of the car, is a 914. If you are on this message board, you should know a bit about them... 3" 5 lug front end drilled hubs and non-vented rotors in the back. 911 a-arms so torsion bars are slightly larger than stock. Struts are great on the street, but worn out for a track car. I also have a 19mm Thru body sway to be installed, but haven't found the motivation (anyone noticing a recurring theme here?). Rear springs haven't been touched, but they feel slightly stiffer than stock (140's?) Again, great on the street, but sticky tires and track duty will overwhelm them. The body is solid (see trunk pic attached). The hell hole has a little hole, and along the long passenger side has a minor hole. Neither are structural issues. My plans called for the Optima to be mounted in the front trunk, but it hasn't made it that far...

Holy wall of text... type.gif I am sure I've missed things, so please ask. I'll try and check in here daily, and my email is in the 1st post.

$14,900 I've found a new toy happy11.gif wub.gif
Crazyhippy
$14,800

or make me an offer, worst thing that can happen is I say yes :-)
matthepcat
Having worked at Renegade, how does the wrx motor compare to the v8 cars in terms of driving experience?
KaptKaos
Looking Good BJ!!

icon_bump.gif
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Feb 23 2012, 11:50 PM) *

Having worked at Renegade, how does the wrx motor compare to the v8 cars in terms of driving experience?

Typing on my phone...

The wrx motor and the old school Sbc don't feel all that different. There is a little weight difference, but not enough to feel on the street. The power delivery in a mild SBC hits hard down low but tapers off at higher rpm. This motor works kubda like that. A stock 2liter wrx moves the powerband to the right 6-700 rpm. They are a bit lazy under 2000rpm, but will pull further. A bigger turbo and cams can make it even more pronounced. Much like a built SBC. Power from 3000 Rpm and up.

Clear as mud?
jimkelly
narrow body
5 lug
hot engine

what's not to love wub.gif
Crazyhippy
$14,700 WTF.gif
Crazyhippy
$14,500 confused24.gif

Or best offer of course w00t.gif
Crazyhippy
$13,500 smilie_pokal.gif

I've got my eye on another toy with even more cylinders, and an extra turbo drooley.gif happy11.gif
Crazyhippy
$12,500

If you are even considering building a V8 or Subbie, or any conversion, you will end up cubic dollars ahead with this car. I have more than I'm asking in the car, and my labor is now free hissyfit.gif screwy.gif wacko.gif
pktzygt
What a deal!

If mine wasn't almost finished I'd buy it from you.

Good luck with the sale!

Crazyhippy
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Mar 27 2012, 11:39 AM) *

What a deal!

If mine wasn't almost finished I'd buy it from you.

Good luck with the sale!

Yup. It's at that magical point where all the hard work has been done, and just the fun personalization stuff is left. I would not have a second thought about driving it 5-6 hours right now.

However, ski race season is upon us, and I need a boat!

$12,000
Crazyhippy
Screw it.

$10,000 it needs to go now.

euro911
Hey BJ, long time.

Not that your car isn't awesome, and I'd love to have it ... I'm thinking that engine would be really nice stuffed into a Westfalia bus chowtime.gif
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 31 2012, 08:36 PM) *

Hey BJ, long time.

Not that your car isn't awesome, and I'd love to have it ... I'm thinking that engine would be really nice stuffed into a Westfalia bus chowtime.gif

Mark!!!

You are really, truly a sick individual! biggrin.gif

No wonder we got along beerchug.gif
dw914er
Very nice subie swap. Question: what turbo are you using?
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(dw914er @ Apr 9 2012, 09:18 PM) *

Very nice subie swap. Question: what turbo are you using?

I'm running the stock WRX turbo (TD04). It builds boost almost instantly, but does run out of breath above 5000-5500 RPM. A 16G would be a nice choice for this motor, but as it sits there is a scary amount of power happy11.gif aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.