Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Turbo on a friends coworkers car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
My buddy asked me if i knew that a turbo'd car can be more fuel efficient than a non-turbo car, my answer was yes if its set up correctly and not driven to the max all the time. After the answer i gave him, he then said that his coworkers car is setup so the unburned fuel in the exhaust gets put back into the motor to burn again, the unburned fuel in the exhaust gets put through the turbo. That's the part i don't understand at all, because on the turbo i have and will hopefully put on my 914, the exhaust turbine and intake turbine are separated by the bearing and seals, so the gasoline won't make it through that. I then made the comment that his turbo must have a way of separating the unburned gas from the exhaust gases, my buddy said yes his turbo can do that...HOW? I can't figure out how that works!!

I tried searching google for some info on this and also went through the book i have on turbo's again, and didn't find anything that was helpful.

Ive never heard of a turbo working like this before. the turbo is on a civic, if that helps at all, and i don't know if it stock or not, maybe the japanese developed one hell of a turbo setup that can do this, but how does it work? Or the owner of the civic is throwing out some serious bull stromberg.gif. At first, i thought this was a complete lie, but i could easily be wrong, im not a car genius but never came across any turbo like this before!!

Anyone ever heard of a turbo separating gas from exhaust? I've tried figuring out how this worked all day while working

banger
Not really true but kind of.. Basically its just marketing spin.. Since some of the fuel is continuing to burn while exiting the manifold, the turbo uses the still expanding gasses to spin the turbo and create more power. VW marketed their early turbodiesels in a similar way. Its just a way to make something sound "greener" than what it is.
turnaround89
thanks, while searching google i came across some antilag things that have to do with what you mentioned
cwpeden
Perhaps the are refering to an EGR?
turnaround89
how exactly does the egr work? How is it separating gas from exhaust?
charliew
Sorry to be such a ass but. It sounds like two guys are talking about things they don't know anything about. I would suggest doing a little homework and not expecting any easy answers in a couple of short sentences.

The egr puts exhaust gas back into the intake to heat the intake air and fuel to try to improve the fuel mixture and make it burn better. Not a good thing for performance only emissions. When I say exhaust gas that doesn't mean fuel. It means exhaust.

There is no way to salvage gas from the exhaust and put it back into the intake.

The benefits of a small boosted motor is that when it is not in boost because it's a small displacement motor it MAY get better gas mileage than a na larger motor most of the time. A hotrodded boosted small motor gets the same mileage at wot throttle as as similiar na large motor that makes the same hp. It takes a certain weight of fuel to make a certain hp no matter what size the motor is. Some motors are more efficient than others though. If the large motor and the small motor have the same ve they will use the same amount of fuel to make their wot hp. Of course the big motor will make more torque down low than the small one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.