Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie question of the day....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
What kind of Torsion Bars can I use on a 914?

I know you can use 911 type, but is there a limit or any adjustments you have to make when changing sizes?

This week, I'm working on suspension and I've never done anything with suspension except remove it.
messix
the spline count is different on 911 to 914.
pcar916
agree.gif

You can get bigger bars as well, mine are 23mm and very stiff. The front sway bar is 22mm and rear springs are 200#...no rear sway bar.
r_towle
What you decide to change your torsion bars rate to depends upon what you intend to use the car for, and what motor you have.

A decent spirited setup is to leave the stock bars in place and get an adjustable front anti sway bar first.
If you get a 21mm front bar, or 22mm...in that range, you can set it pretty stiff.
I had 23mm torsion bars...took them out after a few years.
The car will turn in a bit quicker in slaloms with the lighter bars and a properly tuned anti-sway bar.

Rear springs also dramatically affect how the car handles...even more than the front.
140 progressive springs are perfect for a stock motor setup car.
They are also easy to replace.

If you get adjustable spring perches (coleman racing) for the rear, you have alot more adjustments and you move into cheaper spring which have every possible rating.

For a street/autox car
front torsion bars...stock
22mm adjustable front anti sway bar
Koni adjustable shocks

rear
Coleman racing adjustable perches
Koni rear shocks (made for the perches)
140-180 lb springs

Brakes
all new, refreshed and rebuilt STOCK brakes
new rubber hoses to the brakes (they need to be replaced)
pagid autox pads, or a very aggresive street pad.
Properly adjusted rear brakes (they need to be manually adjusted)

Tires
the stock body can support 205/50/15 tires...most of them.
Tires have different profiles so some are fatter than others.
Hoosiers fit on my car, but not on some cars...
Khumos fit on some,,,not on others.

The rear fender has a lip that you will want to fold/cut to get an additional clearance for the tire...you will need to at some point.

Rich
RiqueMar
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 11 2009, 07:58 AM) *

What you decide to change your torsion bars rate to depends upon what you intend to use the car for, and what motor you have.

A decent spirited setup is to leave the stock bars in place and get an adjustable front anti sway bar first.
If you get a 21mm front bar, or 22mm...in that range, you can set it pretty stiff.
I had 23mm torsion bars...took them out after a few years.
The car will turn in a bit quicker in slaloms with the lighter bars and a properly tuned anti-sway bar.

Rear springs also dramatically affect how the car handles...even more than the front.
140 progressive springs are perfect for a stock motor setup car.
They are also easy to replace.

If you get adjustable spring perches (coleman racing) for the rear, you have alot more adjustments and you move into cheaper spring which have every possible rating.

For a street/autox car
front torsion bars...stock
22mm adjustable front anti sway bar
Koni adjustable shocks

rear
Coleman racing adjustable perches
Koni rear shocks (made for the perches)
140-180 lb springs

Brakes
all new, refreshed and rebuilt STOCK brakes
new rubber hoses to the brakes (they need to be replaced)
pagid autox pads, or a very aggresive street pad.
Properly adjusted rear brakes (they need to be manually adjusted)

Tires
the stock body can support 205/50/15 tires...most of them.
Tires have different profiles so some are fatter than others.
Hoosiers fit on my car, but not on some cars...
Khumos fit on some,,,not on others.

The rear fender has a lip that you will want to fold/cut to get an additional clearance for the tire...you will need to at some point.

Rich

Wow Rich, thanks! That breakdown is really what I needed. I'll probably go stock for right now, as I'm runing Bilsteins, and see how it feels. This way, I have some sort of gauge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.