Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Experience with Big Bore Kit from Ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Daiberl
Hi,

I'm starting the rebuild of my engine and I'm thinking of replacing the Pistons and Cylinders. The car was parked for 20 years and has 124' Mls. Has anyone experience wiht the 96mm Big Bore Kit from Ebay, see here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=180377984565.

Thanks,
Juergen
r_towle
QUOTE(Daiberl @ Jul 12 2009, 03:44 PM) *

Hi,

I'm starting the rebuild of my engine and I'm thinking of replacing the Pistons and Cylinders. The car was parked for 20 years and has 124' Mls. Has anyone experience wiht the 96mm Big Bore Kit from Ebay, see here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=180377984565.

Thanks,
Juergen

The price is nice.
Here is what I have heard from Jake...(Aircooledtechnology)

The wrist pin height is wrong. Its the same as the low compression BUS pistons.
If you buy them, you will lower your compression ratio by a point at least.

The cylinders are not always round...expect to return a cylinder or two.

If you can ask a simple question, "what is the wristpin height?" and you get a valid answer to the question (I never have gotten an answer)
And the wrist pin height is the same as the 2.0 liter 914 pistons....

AND
Ask if you can return them if your machinist determines that the cylinders are not round...

Then go for it.

Rich
sean_v8_914
the out of round issue seems to be with the BIG bores like 103-105. the 96s are good. as far as pin height....I ALWAYS measure deck and chamber volume to determine compression setting. I have several happy customers that flog the crap out of their AX motors. I have beat on mine for over 3 years
Todd Enlund
I e-mailed the guy once, and got from him that the parts are AA. I asked about a set for a 78mm crank, and he told me that they could get them. I don't remember if the price was the same... this was right before I found out that my 78mm crank was cracked.
Daiberl
I think I will give it a shot and will make him an offer, I will keep you updated if he accepts and how the kit is.

- Juergen
URY914
Sounds like a knock off of the old NPR kits sold 20 years ago. Cylinder walls are thin and out of round. Walk away...
computers4kids
QUOTE(Daiberl @ Jul 12 2009, 12:44 PM) *

Hi,

Thanks,
Juergen

I bought a set a year ago...looks like the same set. Here is a link to the thread with actual pictures. They actually turned out to be pretty nice for the price and true. I never did end-up using them...sold them with the 2ltr motor when I went to the dark side (V8).

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't buy them off ebay, but go to a reputable shop that would stand behind them. Who knows but...roll the dice, it's your 2ltr motor.
I think that the old saying goes..if it too good to be true run.
Katmanken
Hey Ury,

Don't be dragging my NOS NPR kits down to that level.

The 2.0 NPR kits have thick walls, are made of good material, are round, are concentric, and have 8.6: 1 CR.....
DarrenG
I bought some directly from AA pistons. no problems at all
Jake Raby
You will get exactly what you pay for.

Just hope you don't need any support, because the guy selling them to you has more than likely never built an engine...
ghuff
I have a hard time buying something like pistons and cylinders on ebay.

Something like a manifold that is cast and heavily produced? Sure...... Something as finnicky as pistons or cylinders?

Hell fucking no.

You guys probably have not seen what E-bay turbos have done to many motors around since the 914 community is small and isolated, and we will use the term "Traditional" instead of some other ones I can think of.

Can you say compressor chunks inhaled by motor? THe carnage looks very cool.

Chris Hamilton
No experience with those cylinders other than I have a set of them ( 103mm ) on the bench. They measure out fine and the coating seems pretty even. Haven't used them yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.