Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Window regulator spring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_teener
Click to view attachment

So... Last night back from a great drive at the beach and I'm rolling up the drivers side and... the window regulator let go.

Want to redo the interior panels anyway cause the PO put speakers in them. In any case, can't tell from the Hayes manual if the shoulder bolt for the spring shown in the picture slots into the rigid strut that is bolted to the door? If so, do I need to take everything out?

Is there anything else I should do if I do take the assembly out... maintainance ect.

Thought I would leverage the knoweledge net here. Thanks in advance.

Rob

914_teener
Click to view attachmentAnother picture closer... looks for sure like it needs some grease!

914_teener
The answer is .....no way. That dude must be pressed on in the factory. Had to take the assembly out. Had done a similar assembly in my volkswagen days... 20 plus years ago. So took it outClick to view attachment smash.gif . I had the passenger side still as reference.
914_teener
Had to take the square shoulder bolt and figure out relative position on the crank mech. to preload the spring. Checked the other side, and found that the spring should be loaded in the down position. I first had to set the shouldered pin back into the assembly. Since it was worn from many cranks in the last 30 plus years I decided to set it in firm with a center punch and ball peen hammer.

914_teener
Click to view attachmentCenterpunched to keep it in.... thought I should POR treat while I was there.

914_teener
Made sure that when I set the crank handle on it was in the down extent.... againg used the other side as reference.

Click to view attachment
914_teener
Then took the tang of the spring inserting so that it would load against the set pin on the assembly.

Click to view attachment
smash.gif

914_teener
Oh yes..... might as well.... treated the inside of the door ...POR in the inside. Good news is there wasn't that much at all. Mostly on the bottom. Cleaned out the drain holes. Bolted back in the assembly. Gonna put more sound proofing on before the new interior panels. Anyway it wasn't that big a deal. Hope this helps somebody else.Click to view attachment beerchug.gif Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.