Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just when.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
After spending countless hours lubing wire harnesses to get them thru the side marker/signal light boots, cussing & bitching, I thought about looking with flashlight into the gas tank. Bad thing to do!

I had drained the tank 6 months ago & took the pseudo gas to a shop that heats the floor with it in winter. Cool! Problem complete. Replaced lotsa fuel lines thereafter.

Try to open the gas cap, doesn't want to. Finally, with "persuasion", the gas cap pops off. First thing I'm faced with is severe rust in the filler neck!

Shine a light into the tank, and I see about another gallon of fuel, but looks like it's full of rust! Rust must have plugged the strainer.

Like I need aother project, but what sould I do?

Looks like the tank has to come out, be steamed & sealed., right? Who do I go to in SE Penna to get this done?
Pat
r_towle
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 12 2009, 10:31 PM) *

After spending countless hours lubing wire harnesses to get them thru the side marker/signal light boots, cussing & bitching, I thought about looking with flashlight into the gas tank. Bad thing to do!

I had drained the tank 6 months ago & took the pseudo gas to a shop that heats the floor with it in winter. Cool! Problem complete. Replaced lotsa fuel lines thereafter.

Try to open the gas cap, doesn't want to. Finally, with "persuasion", the gas cap pops off. First thing I'm faced with is severe rust in the filler neck!

Shine a light into the tank, and I see about another gallon of fuel, but looks like it's full of rust! Rust must have plugged the strainer.

Looks like the tank has to come out, be steamed & sealed., right? Who do I go to in SE Penna to get this done?
Pat

You should be looking for a radiator repair shop
They are the ones that boil them.

Rich
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 12 2009, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 12 2009, 10:31 PM) *

Pat

You should be looking for a radiator repair shop
They are the ones that boil them.

Rich

Thanks Rich, now does anyone on SE Penn know of a reutable shop for this?
Pat
PanelBilly
I thought all we needed to do was use the POR gas tank product to clean them out and seal them up. Do I need to take the tank to a radiator shop too?
Dr Evil
I can still help you, Pat. There is a shop about 2mi from my house that does the sealing for $50. They do a great job and many people ship theirs to them.
FYI.

Forti's radiator shop in Palmyra, PA.
jcd914
I think it is a choice of "Do It Yourself" or "Pay To Get It Done".
I called a local Radiator shop and asked earlier today and they want $225 to boil it out and coat it.
Unless I stumble across a BIG wad of cash somewhere I will be getting a kit and doing it myself.

Jim

Dr Evil
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 13 2009, 10:05 PM) *

I thought all we needed to do was use the POR gas tank product to clean them out and seal them up. Do I need to take the tank to a radiator shop too?

The right shop can do it for less than you will spend on the POR15 kit. I have done the POR15 thing and it is good, but for $50 I would gladly let someone else do it.
tod914
Pat there is a place out in Allentown that does gas tanks. They were reckomended by Bill Hirsch (gas tank sealant company here in NJ) I'm not sure how far away that is from you. But Mike's offer sounds like a good one. Let me know if you want me to search for the number. Too much of a PIA to do yourself if you can find someone local to do it for you. I found an excellent match for the paint too. Might want to bake it on to insure it's resistant to gas. http://www.hirschauto.com/
I'll get you the paint info tomorrow when I'm not so tired.
r_towle
I am old school
I boiled it out, painted the outside and filled it with fuel.
Its fine..should last a few years.

I used mine alot, so the fuel gets cycled quite often. If its gonna sit for a while, like your car will Pat, I think sealing it is probably prudent.

Rich
jim_hoyland
If a 914 is gonna sit for a while, should the gas be drained from the tank first ? How long does it take for rust to form on a sitting car ?
Dominic
I did mine with the KBS products, very nice results. Here is the thread from a few years back:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...726&hl=fuel

EdwardBlume
Is the rub rust patch on the outside typical? I think I've seen this before...

Also, what does the corrosion on the tank cap indicate? moisture? age?
Katmanken
I've seen rust pateches on the outside of the tank from the carpeting pads that the tank rests on. When they get wet, they can hold moisture and cause that effect.

Per the caps, nothing lasts forever and the plating eventually goes from a number of things including: scrapes, moist air, wear from opening and closing, fingerprints (can contain sulfuric acid), electrolysis (can cause the coating to act as the sacrificial anode), etc.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Jim H. :

As to storing a 914 , ( air = oxygen = Rust) . I try to keep my tank full

always. Only thing I ever do differently at storage time is STA- BUL in the tank.

I surely don't want to go thro what Pat is now.

Pat there is a guy in the classifieds with a nice tank for sale???

Dave slap.gif

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jul 15 2009, 09:41 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Jim H. :

As to storing a 914 , ( air = oxygen = Rust) . I try to keep my tank full

always. Only thing I ever do differently at storage time is STA- BUL in the tank.

I surely don't want to go thro what Pat is now.

Pat there is a guy in the classifieds with a nice tank for sale???

Dave slap.gif

Its gotta be a 5-pt '72 tank though...
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 13 2009, 08:32 PM) *

I can still help you, Pat. There is a shop about 2mi from my house that does the sealing for $50. They do a great job and many people ship theirs to them.
FYI.

Mike,
Do you have a phone number for them? Too good to pass up.
Pat
Pat Garvey
I just want to post a warning from my experience. I drained (I thought) all the 5 year old fuel from my 914 months ago. Replaced a bunch of line, put in a new filter, even new rails & all new connections. Yeah, I neeed to replace the injector boots, but the car never sees weather, so I fgured I'd test fire it with a new battery.

Apparently, the 914 gods forced me to look in the tank closely before I put fresh fuel in it. I noticed that there was still some gas in the tank, though it had not drained earlier. The gas also had the same problem I have with my eyes - floaters, and I'm assuming those buggers are rust flakes.

Glad I looked before firing - would have undone a lot of earlier work.

So, I'll remove the tank - hopefully not spilling to much rotten fuel (that shit stinks!). Nothing further will drain from below, so I obviously have a blockage.

I removed the tank years ago to fit my beefy, non-original front bar, but the memory fades. Though I remeber it was one of those things that required few tools.

I'll be more than happy to drive the tank to Palmyra (Mike's suggested place). Hopefully I can keep my original tank. Yeah, I know, there are other tanks out there. But mine is original & has a gorgeous finish (from overwaxing).

Anyone removed a tank with fuel in it before (maybe a gallon)? Any nuances, or should I just throw 20 lbs of kitty litter under the car?
Pat
r_towle
A few times.
Remove all the top stuff.
From the passenger side, pull it up as high as you can and use the rubber piece, or a piece of wood to prop it up.

All the gas is now on the drivers side away from the tubes.
Remove the clamps and pull it out while keeping one side higher than the other at all times.

Rich
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 15 2009, 10:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 13 2009, 08:32 PM) *

FYI.

Mike,
Do you have a phone number for them? Too good to pass up.
Pat

Pat,its called google poke.gif

Forti's Radiator and a/c 717-838-5131

They can weld your tank if you want to keep it and it needs it.

You better let me know when you are stopping by so we can meet up. I have a very flexible schedule. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.