Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What I found behind my rocker panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jjbunn
I removed both rocker panels on my recently acquired '74 2.0 914 today. The passenger side longitudinal was as clean as a whistle, and that panel had evidently been off in the recent past. The driver's side panel was a bit harder to get off, but with the help of some judiciously applied PBBlaster, eventually yielded.

This is what the area around the jacking point looked like:

IPB Image

That's about 2lbs of dry and crumbly dirt. It doesn't appear to have had any detrimental effect, as there is no evidence of any rust after clearing it away.

I can't decide if the dirt got in from around the jacking hole, or if it entered via the rear wheel well. The jack holes have the plugs in them, which seem to seal around the hole edge quite well.

In any case, is there an advised method for preventing stuff lodging behind these panels?

Thanks!

Todd Enlund
QUOTE(jjbunn @ Jul 12 2009, 07:39 PM) *

In any case, is there an advised method for preventing stuff lodging behind these panels?

Jackstands are very effective.
messix
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jul 12 2009, 09:16 PM) *

QUOTE(jjbunn @ Jul 12 2009, 07:39 PM) *

Jackstands are very effective.

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
tod914
Just take them off like 2x a year to clean. Seems like the debree likes to collect in there. Light ivory, great color.
carr914
1st. welcome.png

2nd, As far as dirt buildup, put the Rockers back on with screws vs rivits and clean the area every year.

T.C.
jjbunn
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 12 2009, 09:24 PM) *

1st. welcome.png

2nd, As far as dirt buildup, put the Rockers back on with screws vs rivits and clean the area every year.

T.C.

Thanks for all the replies, welcome and lol-2.gif

The car is in nice fettle, as the PO is a seasoned 914 expert, so it needs little. I have it up on jackstands at the moment to carry out a few cosmetic jobs, and also to check the timing, fuel pressure etc.. But I don't plan on it being on the stands for long driving.gif
URY914
Do you remember the movie "The Great Escape" with Steve McQueen and Jame Garner? When they were digging the tunnel to get out they needed a way to get dirt out and dispose of it. They would put it in the pants legs and let it fall out in the yard. This is sorta the same thing.

OK, it's a stretch I know....
r_towle
On the top, I use SS screws.
On the botton I use screws and rubber washers a bit less than 1/2 inch....about 3/8 in thick.
Put the washer between the rocker and the long to pull the long off the bottom of the rocker.
Run the screw through everything into the long.

Now you have a place for the future dirt to go, and you can shoot a hose in there...water will have an escape route.

Rich
jjbunn
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 13 2009, 05:26 AM) *

On the top, I use SS screws.
On the botton I use screws and rubber washers a bit less than 1/2 inch....about 3/8 in thick.
Put the washer between the rocker and the long to pull the long off the bottom of the rocker.
Run the screw through everything into the long.

Now you have a place for the future dirt to go, and you can shoot a hose in there...water will have an escape route.

Rich

Oh, that's clever! I will do that - thanks smile.gif
Chris Pincetich
Nice tip Rich beerchug.gif
I am so glad I read this seemingly simple thread... biggrin.gif
My rockers are off now, just sprayed all the rust with acid, and I was "thinking" of getting rivets, but probably not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.