Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car want's to keep going
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914coop
Went for my first extended trip.....300 miles. Weather was great, car ran great. Until I went to turn it off....It did not. Radio stayed on and all other electronics.

I am thinking ignition switch, However when I let the clutch out to kill the engine, the ignition switch activated the starter and it fired up and ran great, however it still would not shutdown.

Any Ideas???

Thanks
CliffBraun
Were all of the electronics that normally come on with the key still on after you dropped the clutch and killed the engine?
There's a big red wire(IIRC) that runs switched power to the back, I've had it pull out of the connector and cause the opposite symptoms (no power). Check to see if it has power with the key off and if it does there's your problem. I'd also worry about burning out coils with constant ignition power.
Dave_Darling
Crossed wires can do that. I once put a single-filament bulb in the rear turn signal housing where a dual-filament bulb should go. When I left my left turn signal on, the "parking light" function would send power to the housing, which fed back through the socket and up into the ignition switch, so the car continued to run.

You could have something similar going on...

--DD
914coop
QUOTE(CliffBraun @ Jul 12 2009, 11:21 PM) *

Were all of the electronics that normally come on with the key still on after you dropped the clutch and killed the engine?
There's a big red wire(IIRC) that runs switched power to the back, I've had it pull out of the connector and cause the opposite symptoms (no power). Check to see if it has power with the key off and if it does there's your problem. I'd also worry about burning out coils with constant ignition power.

Yes, all the electron9cs where on after I killed the engine. I will check the "IIRC" for Power with the key off.

I am currently disconnecting the battery so not to burn out coils, killing battery etc...

Thanks for your ideas.
914coop
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 13 2009, 12:12 AM) *

Crossed wires can do that. I once put a single-filament bulb in the rear turn signal housing where a dual-filament bulb should go. When I left my left turn signal on, the "parking light" function would send power to the housing, which fed back through the socket and up into the ignition switch, so the car continued to run.

--DD

I will need to check the wiring sad.gif (I Hate Wiring issues) as I have not added or removed any thing in the car. It was working fine up until about 40 miles in to the trip when I was stopping for gas. It had turned on and off at least five times that morning with no issues.

Thanks for the direction.
CliffBraun
QUOTE(914coop @ Jul 13 2009, 06:29 AM) *

Yes, all the electron9cs where on after I killed the engine. I will check the "IIRC" for Power with the key off.

I am currently disconnecting the battery so not to burn out coils, killing battery etc...

Thanks for your ideas.

IIRC= If I recall correctly. Anywho, In a 71 at least there's a red wire from a 20 or so pin connector that is the switched power from the key. I'd start by checking if it has power. You could also check to see if it was getting power from the back of the car or the switch side by testing the different sides of the connector.
CliffBraun
QUOTE(914coop @ Jul 13 2009, 06:29 AM) *

Thanks for your ideas.

IIRC= If I recall correctly. Anywho, In a 71 at least there's a red wire from a 20 or so pin connector that is the switched power from the key. I'd start by checking if it has power. You could also check to see if it was getting power from the back of the car or the switch side by testing the different sides of the connector.
914coop
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 13 2009, 12:12 AM) *

--DD

Found the issue, behind the riders seat of all places??? Fixed the cracked wires and everything is back working correctly.

Thanks Dave for the direction.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.