Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cooling fan mods - 12 fin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
thinking about doing a fan mod like this.

but where did this cool fan come from with the cone shaped center hub? I don't know if it really will cool better but it sure looks good.

also, do you have to run the outer pulley that bolts to the fan. we are not running the alternator anyway but mayber the fan will not work well without it or maybe the fins will break off.

thanks,
dr
maf914
If there are gaps between the end of the blades and the cooling shroud you will loose some efficiency as the air spills off the ends of the blades and as the higher pressure air in the shroud scroll pushes back through the gap, short circuiting back into the fan. The pulley probably acts as both an end plate or fence for the fan blade tips to stop spillover and as a seal between the fan and shroud. I think the pulley probably helps flow in this case. Now, whether or not you need that flow is another matter, since you already plan to alter the flow by removing blades.

At least that's my guess! huh.gif

BTW: I think the fan in your photo is from an early T4 before VW started adding drive accessories to the fan. That nifty little aero cone shape might add a CFM or two!

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.