Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear end work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
So I think that I'm going to fix my own car, Just would like to do something that I have never done before. here are some photo of the job at hand
I could use any help with this project, that my save me from making any big mistakes
jimkelly
my gran pappy always said - measure once and cut 3 times : )

good luck.
jmill
If it was me I'd just cut out and replace the piece above the lights and straighten the rest. Rick and Scotty are the ones to talk with.

If you are going to do the whole panel thing it would be much easier and cleaner if you got a different repair panel. One that went all the way down past the trunk floor. Using your current panel you'll need to butt-weld the side and the bottom. You can do it but it makes your job harder. I would try and straighten the corner and weld the repair panel in at the factory seam. That corner is foam filled. I don't know for sure but I would think that stuff would burn pretty good. You might want to get that stuff out if you do weld in there.
FourBlades

Whatever you do, clamp a big piece of copper (flattened pipe is popular) behind
the seams you are welding. It will stop you from burning through and will suck
up some of the heat. Put a bunch of clamps on to also suck up heat. Take your
time or you will end up with a pretzel from heat distortion (which happened to me
many times when I rushed it).

It helps to think about what is behind what you are cutting off. If you can't get
to the back of your seams, it makes it very hard.

John
jmill
I missed the first picture the first time and see that you already cut it. Welding in a corner is way more difficult. I'd bring your cut down some and weld in the middle of a flat piece of the panel. That way you can use inner-grips and clamps to hold it together straight. If you bring it behind the bumper you don't need to get it perfect.
rick 918-S
If I had photo shop skills I would draw lines on the photo showing where I would cut it. I saved your photos to my desk top and will print them later tonight, draw on them and scan them back in and post. Can't do it til later though. Gotsta work. dry.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 13 2009, 11:31 AM) *

If I had photo shop skills I would draw lines on the photo showing where I would cut it. I saved your photos to my desk top and will print them later tonight, draw on them and scan them back in and post. Can't do it til later though. Gotsta work. dry.gif

He already cut it.

Rich
oldschool
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 13 2009, 08:31 AM) *

its hard to see but the rear panel was not hit very hard it was the area that hold the light, and that stuff is real easy to get to .and yes I can cut some more right at the seam, I guess what I'm asking is what kind of prep work do I need to do, to get a good bead on that sheet metal?
jmill
Since you can get to both sides all you need to do is get it to bare metal. You don't want to run a bead. You want lots and lots of little spots. If you run a bead you'll warp the heck out of it. Take your time to avoid getting the panel hot and warping it. Skip around on it too doing a spot here and there. Use the piece you cut out and your donor panel to practice on and get your heat and feed right. Be careful grinding the welds too. That gets it hot enough to warp too.
oldschool
QUOTE(jmill @ Jul 13 2009, 11:16 AM) *

Since you can get to both sides all you need to do is get it to bare metal. You don't want to run a bead. You want lots and lots of little spots. If you run a bead you'll warp the heck out of it. Take your time to avoid getting the panel hot and warping it. Skip around on it too doing a spot here and there. Use the piece you cut out and your donor panel to practice on and get your heat and feed right. Be careful grinding the welds too. That gets it hot enough to warp too.

thanks man that really helps out,I may try this coming week end. if this comes out ok I may go ahead and do the other parts of the ride that needs help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.