Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: h.e torque specs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
so after 2 weeks of pretending that i don't own a 914, i am goin to try to get it running again. finally got new valve adjustment screws (fed-ex lost em for a while). i need to know how much to torque down the nuts on the h.e's ( if i strip a stud i will kill myself)
rjames
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jul 13 2009, 07:34 AM) *

so after 2 weeks of pretending that i don't own a 914, i am goin to try to get it running again. finally got new valve adjustment screws (fed-ex lost em for a while). i need to know how much to torque down the nuts on the h.e's ( if i strip a stud i will kill myself)

*EDIT*

I apparently had the numbers wrong, see below.
Cupomeat
Make sure you either anneal, or use new copper exhaust gaskets.

Otherwise, the torquing will be for naught.

BTW, where do you keep your 914 in NYC? It has been a long time since I've seen a teener running around Manhattan.
Cevan
I don't believe any torque spec is in the Haynes manual. I thought that the exhaust studs were torqued to 14 or 14.5 ft/lbs (because they're going into aluminum and the copper nuts that hold the HEs on were 12 ft/lbs.

Someone please render a decision.
nycchef
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 13 2009, 08:43 AM) *

Make sure you either anneal, or use new copper exhaust gaskets.

Otherwise, the torquing will be for naught.

BTW, where do you keep your 914 in NYC? It has been a long time since I've seen a teener running around Manhattan.

i'm in bklyn. if you see a "running" 914. it 's probably not mine av-943.gif
Cupomeat
Cool, I was in Park Slope for a few years but my teener never saw the mean streets (kept in storage, upstate).

Loved P. Slope and Prospect Park.

I am about 16 mi west of the city, let me know if I can help out. I've been through most everything on 914s, just never rebuilt the transmission.
nycchef
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 13 2009, 12:29 PM) *

Cool, I was in Park Slope for a few years but my teener never saw the mean streets (kept in storage, upstate).

Loved P. Slope and Prospect Park.

I am about 16 mi west of the city, let me know if I can help out. I've been through most everything on 914s, just never rebuilt the transmission.

probably will, just put the rocker assembly back in with new screw, the h.e'. and the flapper box and it's running again. gonna pick up a new carb linkage na dtry to put together a wrenching party, maybe with ray mital in n.j. will let you know. if you come to manhattan, i have a southwestern/mexican restaurant on the upper east side, 914 owners eat free
rich
Cupomeat
I am in Manhattan everyday, and I love Mexican/southwestern food.

Let me know when the wrenching party is, I'll try to be there, or I can offer my garage if that works for you all.
jk76.914
QUOTE(Cevan @ Jul 13 2009, 12:57 PM) *

I don't believe any torque spec is in the Haynes manual. I thought that the exhaust studs were torqued to 14 or 14.5 ft/lbs (because they're going into aluminum and the copper nuts that hold the HEs on were 12 ft/lbs.

agree.gif That's right. M8 into aluminum is only 14 ft-lbs. Remember that though the nut is steel (copper-plated only!) the torque is distributed down the length of the stud, and the other end goes into aluminum.

I have the Bentley manual for VW T4, and it states 14 ft-lbs also, IIRC.

Interestingly, M9 into aluminum is about 17 ft-lbs, which is about the same as M8 into steel, so if you're running 9mm/8mm step studs, both ends can handle 17 ft-lbs, and you can go a but tighter.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 1.8 came from the factory with the 9mm/8mm step studs. My theory is that this was part of the reason. Similarly, the rocker studs are 8mm/7mm step studs, with the big end going into the aluminum head- same reason? Who knows!
nycchef
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jul 13 2009, 06:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Cevan @ Jul 13 2009, 12:57 PM) *

agree.gif That's right. M8 into aluminum is only 14 ft-lbs. Remember that though the nut is steel (copper-plated only!) the torque is distributed down the length of the stud, and the other end goes into aluminum.

I have the Bentley manual for VW T4, and it states 14 ft-lbs also, IIRC.

Interestingly, M9 into aluminum is about 17 ft-lbs, which is about the same as M8 into steel, so if you're running 9mm/8mm step studs, both ends can handle 17 ft-lbs, and you can go a but tighter.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 1.8 came from the factory with the 9mm/8mm step studs. My theory is that this was part of the reason. Similarly, the rocker studs are 8mm/7mm step studs, with the big end going into the aluminum head- same reason? Who knows!

i torqued them down at about 15 lbs (tough to be accurate stuffed under the car), ran it for an hour nothing flew out of the valve train. just might get it off the jack stands this week driving-girl.gif
Dr Evil
When is the wrenching party? smile.gif
nycchef
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 14 2009, 07:22 AM) *

When is the wrenching party? smile.gif

wish i could tell you. problem getting time at movietime. my garage is tiny, and i still need to put in the shifter console before i can get mobile i/ll see what i can do
RAY whats up with you !!!!
Dr Evil
Ya, I need your console back. Its an exchange thing, ya dig?
nycchef
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 14 2009, 06:47 PM) *

Ya, I need your console back. Its an exchange thing, ya dig?

i know, sorry, have had no time to pull it out . i will do it this weekend and get it in the mail. still waiting for the bill. ya dig?
Dr Evil
The bill is $50 smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.