Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are rear clear Italian lenses legal in NC?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SUNAB914
As stated above are clear Italian lenses legal in NC? Don't need to be pulled over for this.
Thanks
904svo
They shoulb be legal if you put in color bulbs.
ericread
It was my understanding that in NH you needed a rear red reflector that is visible from 300 feet. Most cars use the red taillight as the reflector.

If my assumption is true, what are you going to use for the rear red reflector?

Eric
jsayre914
if you have antique/ historic tags, i think your fine
SUNAB914
I have antique tags. I just want to be legal.
turboturtle
In Seventeen years I've never even been pulled over. I figured the newbe officers don't even know what their looking at. Just tell em they are new factory originals and very rare and expensive. That should stop em dead in their tracks. Lol

Bob
SUNAB914
Thanks everyone. I'll let you know if it comes up again.
charliew
In 1969 I had a 69 mach1 and it got lightly rearended. I decided to make my own tail light lense all the way across the back. It looked ok but it wouldn't pass inspection because it didn't have any refelectors. I had to cut out and put the original ends of the tail lenses in the lense I made, to have the reflectors. The story was if the tail light is out there would be the refelectors when someone comes up from behind.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 13 2009, 09:17 PM) *

The story was if the tail light is out there would be the refelectors when someone comes up from behind.

They do help a lot when the car is parked. City dwellers who are used to a lot of ambient light all the time may think nothing of this, but spend some time where it is DARK and you will understand.

And the fact that if they'll reflect visible light they also make dandy radar/lidar reflectors? ...
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain ..."
Kansas 914
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jul 13 2009, 10:48 AM) *

As stated above are clear Italian lenses legal in NC? Don't need to be pulled over for this.
Thanks

All 50 states require rear reflectors. That being said I took my car with clear rear taillight lenses (there are no Italian rear lenses - but we know what you mean) to my local police station and asked them if the car was legal. The said if I had RED brake lights and RED taillights they were okay with it.

But as mentioned - it really isn't legal due to the fact the RED reflectors are gone - will it pass the scrutiny of most - probably...
orange914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jul 13 2009, 07:04 PM) *

But as mentioned - it really isn't legal due to the fact the RED reflectors are gone - will it pass the scrutiny of most - probably...

except if your hit and the insurance co. catches it. smash.gif like charliew stirthepot.gif

charliew
All that happened to the mach 1 was the rear panel was slightly bent and all the lenses were broke. No insurance claim on that wreck. But I was pissed cause the car was only three weeks old and it was the second mach 1 in six months. The first one couldn't stay right side up.

I'll bet money on a insurance claim if the car is rear ended while it's parked the ins. co. will manage to get out of covering it.
mharrison
If they are not DOT certified, and are on a U.S. Market car, they aren't legal. It doesn't matter if you have a reflector or not, red or not, etc.

Vehicle lighting involves fairly stringent rules and design criteria that fills several regulatory books, more or less depending on what jurisdiction you are in. For starters, color, angularity, lumens, retro-reflectivity of the lens and housing including surface area, are strictly laid out and must be followed. I saw a link to one of the manufacturers once, where a design sheet was given. If you can read photometric charts, and are comfortable with calculus, search for them.

99.9% of those aftermarket clear and LED tail lights you see on the ricers, the ones with the clear lens, are illegal. Legit ones can be had, but they are generally 2 or 3 hundred dollars apiece, since the R&D as well as approval testing by standards labs to get certification does not come cheap.

All that being said, I like the clear ones and may pick some up in the future!
SUNAB914
OK, talked to a state inspection guy today. He said all lights except back-up light needs to be colored (red) in our case. So where do I find bulbs colored red for our cars. I saw some red covers but don't know if those work over our bulbs. I don't think painting them would work because of heat and making the bulb break. Anyone got any ideas. The lenses are OK being clear, just need the bulbs to be colored.
Thanks
904svo
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jul 15 2009, 05:50 PM) *

OK, talked to a state inspection guy today. He said all lights except back-up light needs to be colored (red) in our case. So where do I find bulbs colored red for our cars. I saw some red covers but don't know if those work over our bulbs. I don't think painting them would work because of heat and making the bulb break. Anyone got any ideas. The lenses are OK being clear, just need the bulbs to be colored.
Thanks

A good auto supply store should have them, Red and Amber bulbs.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jul 15 2009, 09:50 PM) *
I don't think painting them would work because of heat and making the bulb break.

sure it will, you just need the right paint.
find a hobby store - Michael's - Moskatel's - your local favorite. Find the "stained glass" section. You'll find transparant glass paint that will work fine. Get ruby and amber. you'll probably have to dip at least 2 coats - it's a tradeoff between color saturation and brightness.

or find some red and amber LED's. they're out there...
degreeoff
I forget who I used on the internet but I found them, ALL including dual filament etc....just search 1157 colored bulbs, they are out there.

Josh
SUNAB914
Thanks , I found the 1157's, but what are the other numbers for the bulbs we use. I need brake, turn, and the small outer running light for the rear assembly. JCWhitney is where I found them on the net.
Thanks again
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jul 15 2009, 09:50 PM) *

OK, talked to a state inspection guy today. He said all lights except back-up light needs to be colored (red) in our case.

Don't suppose you got this in writing, BTW...
The cop on the street has his own version of 'the law' and chances are, your guy won't be there when you need to get your equipment violation signed off.

Expect to be hassled over this (or some other aspect) of the car. It comes with the territory of having something 'different.' Maintain a positive attitude, try to use it as an educational tool, but it may be a waste of time trying to change the mind of the guy/gal who pulled you over.

Just say you'll get it attended to right away and then KEEP A PHOTOCOPY of the signed off violation for when it happens again...
SUNAB914
I agree with you fully, but I think my best course of action in order to keep these lenses on would be too get the red bulbs sooner than later. If anyone will stop me, it will be these Nazi Military Police on base, where I do most of my driving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.