Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are there different fuel tanks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcd914
I need to get a fuel tank prepped (rust removed and coated) to go into my 73. I have several to choose from and the one that looks best is a late tank (75?) with the plastic filler, cap & expansion tank. The 73 came with steel cap, filler and expansion tank and I would like to keep them. Can I just swap early filler neck from the early tank to the late tank?

Thanks
Jim
914werke
yes there are differances. They are interchangable if you retain
the expansion tank (steel vs plastic) and cap from the respective tank
you plan on using.
But if your suggesting mating the steel expansion tank to the late fuel tank,
no that wont work the attachment points are different.
SLITS
The difference is in the outlet and return stubs out of the tank. The early (up to '75) had 8 mm supply and 7 mm return. The evaporative system had the charcoal cannister mounted on the tank up front.

From late '74? and certainly '75 and up, the fuel outlet and inlet are the same size (7mm) and the charcoal canister was mounted in the engine compartment, fed by a 1 or 2 mm line from up front (Yes, there were 3 plastic lines coming thru the center tunnel). The '73 charcoal canister cannot be mounted to these tanks 'cause the mounting strap clips don't exist on the tank.

That has been my experience ... BTDT
Pat Garvey
Please get a tank that matches 73. If you get a later version, you mat as well get a racing bladder, because you've destroyed the originality of the car, and you'll need to make so many mod's. They're out there - get the right one.
Pat
jcd914
Thanks for all the info.
I have 6 tanks (I think, maybe it is just 5) but the best looking one was a late one with the plastic filler and expansion tank. And by "best looking" I mean the one that looked like it had the least amount of rust inside it. Of all of them I have none are rust free, typical for a 914.
I will probably just pull the tank that is in it now and clean it out. Hopefully it is not pitted badly inside.

Thanks
Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.