Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another conversion question - sorry........
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
Sorry for all of these posts. I swear I have been doing searches prior...

I am getting all of the info I can prior to starting my conversion. I have two areas where I am less than comfortable:
1. Wiring - but I will bribe my pal Brant for that ... beerchug.gif

2. Flywheel/Clutch. If this motor checks out, I am going to have the shop install the appropriate/modified oil cooler and I would like to have them do the flywheel and clutch so that it is ready to go. Which flywheel and clutch do I need? I will be using my tail shifter for now as it really is in great shape/shifts really good. The new motor is a stock 2.7 CIS that I will be switching to carbs.

Thanks very much!!
Joe Bob
I've never had a problem, Cap'n Krusty hates them....Kennedy Engineered Products in Palmdale CA makes a conversion flywheel, has the right clutch and throw out bearing. All brand new for about what an early flywheel will run used.....
http://www.kennedyeng.com/
SLITS
You have to have the early 6 bolt 911 215 mm flywheel and clutch package. Otherwise:

1.) You talk to Kennedy Engineering and have them make a package for you.

2.) You talk to Kennedy Engineering and have them modify a type four flywheel to mate up to your 2.7.

3.) You find a two year only tranny ('70-'71 911) to use with the 225 mm clutch assembly. Clutch kit is $800 alone. It has the input spline of a 901 box with a 225 mm clutch. Good luck finding one AND if you do, make sure it comes with the throw out bearing arm. This is the first 911 "pull" clutch design.
Cap'n Krusty
You'll need a stock 2 liter 911 flywheel, and you'll want to remark it for TDC and 30/35 degrees because the bolts are in a different location of a 2.7. Same pattern, just different locations. Oh, the bolts and plate, too. The Cap'n
Scott S
Thanks all - very much....

I am trying to do as much preplanning as possible on all fronts. As usual, everyone on this site makes this process so much easier.

As of now, my biggest concern is getting holes cut correctly for the oil tank and dealing with an engine compartment that was painted black with a heavy texture by the PO. If I am going to do this, I want things to be really clean - but I am trying really hard to balance "clean" with the known killer.... the "while I am in there..." disease.......

Thanks again beerchug.gif
Gint
You know where to look if you want to see how the holes are setup on a /6.
SLITS
QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 14 2009, 04:09 PM) *

You know where to look if you want to see how the holes are setup on a /6.

Yeh, the Bird Board has the full skinny ... even with hole saw sizes. The only one they won't show is the short line inlet to the tank ... kindofa guess on that one ...
Gint
I was of course referring to my car. wink.gif
SLITS
Ok, cut the panel out and send it to him! jester.gif
brant
Scott,

if you go with a stock (2.0/6 used) flywheel... I'm pretty sure you can just reuse the clutch you have already. I'm betting yours is in excellent low mileage condition and perfectly reuseable.

I believe the power of a 2.7 would be fine on a stock clutch for street use
if you were really really hard on equiptment, or racing I'd think an upgraded clutch would be helpful... but I doubt on your car it would be necessary.

I do have a spare stock flywheel. It is currently in grand junction where I was going to have it resurfaced. Its been there a while and not done yet (more important priorities.)

No guarantee that its good as I delivered it to AJRS to find that out, but Al can verify that when he does the machine work. If you pass thats ok too as I'll eventually use it on my black car (a someday conversion canidate)

brant

Sleepin
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 14 2009, 05:52 PM) *

Scott,

if you go with a stock (2.0/6 used) flywheel... I'm pretty sure you can just reuse the clutch you have already. I'm betting yours is in excellent low mileage condition and perfectly reuseable.

I believe the power of a 2.7 would be fine on a stock clutch for street use
if you were really really hard on equiptment, or racing I'd think an upgraded clutch would be helpful... but I doubt on your car it would be necessary.

I do have a spare stock flywheel. It is currently in grand junction where I was going to have it resurfaced. Its been there a while and not done yet (more important priorities.)

No guarantee that its good as I delivered it to AJRS to find that out, but Al can verify that when he does the machine work. If you pass thats ok too as I'll eventually use it on my black car (a someday conversion canidate)

brant

I may be able to pick that up for you if needed!
Scott S
FANTASTIC!!! Thanks!!

Brant - I will drop you a note off line once the inspection is complete and we know where we are headed. I would love to go local for all of this stuff.

beerchug.gif
TROJANMAN
Scott,
Did you find a flywheel? I have a line on several.

Give me a call.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.