Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air guide plate problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fitzm1
Click to view attachment

So the engines back in the car. Runs great. I'm putting the heater items back on and figure what the heck, why not add the air guide plates I bought on ebay. The pass side bolts right on. The left side is a little tighter. Looks great but it will not shift out of the 4-5 plane. There is no way the shift rod will move enough with that plate on there. My shift rod drops down at least an inch farther than the plate will alow. I have a 2.0. Is this the wrong peice?

Cupomeat
Hmmm, as I don't have both peices here to compare (look at), does this engine tin go over or under the shift linkage?

I think you want the "over" the linkage unit for a side shifter with 70-74 exhaust system.

Then again, I'll see if any of my pix help my memory.
SLITS
The curve goes up and the rod is underneath.
Cupomeat
Sorry, as up and down are relative when working on engine tin.

Does the piece go between the engine and the shift linkage, or between the shift linkage and the ground?
hcdmueller
Between the engine and the shift linkage.
Cupomeat
I have both style lower engine tin pieces and on my 75 1.8l with back dated SS 70-74 style exhaust and heater tin, the only one that would fit was the kind that captured the shift rod between the tin and the engine.

SO, does that help the original poster?
fitzm1
Mabe thats my problem. As you can see from the photos the grove goes under the rod on this peice. The two oval openings go around the HE, this would be looking from the front of the car.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 14 2009, 12:56 PM) *

The curve goes up and the rod is underneath.

hcdmueller
Haven't seen one of those on any car I have messed with. Is it for a tailshift car?
fitzm1
I'm not sure. I was told when I bought them they were for a 2.0 side shifter. But it was an ebay buy so......

QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Jul 14 2009, 01:36 PM) *

Haven't seen one of those on any car I have messed with. Is if for a tailshift car?

orange914
are these the plates that no one has? i mean most have the ones that go up between the pushrod tubes and bottom of cylinders, right, but these go below even those?

i've been looking for a set for my 73 side shifter if you or any one else has an extra set f/s.

mike
Dave_Darling
That one's for a tail shifter. The bump in the side-shifter one goes the other way. So it is between the shift rod and the engine.

--DD
McMark
agree.gif Dave got it (no surprise) wink.gif
fitzm1
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 14 2009, 05:44 PM) *

That one's for a tail shifter. The bump in the side-shifter one goes the other way. So it is between the shift rod and the engine.

--DD

Thanks. I was beginning to beleive that was the case. Doesn't seem to be many of the side shifter air guides out there. Should I beat the shift grove in the opposite direction and try to mount it between the rod and engine? Is it worth the effort?
Mike
type47
QUOTE(fitzm1 @ Jul 15 2009, 04:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 14 2009, 05:44 PM) *

--DD

Should I beat the shift grove in the opposite direction and try to mount it between the rod and engine? Is it worth the effort?
Mike

Not worth it, in my opinion. You should be able to find the correct piece used. Place a WTB in the parts classified section.
orange914
so is this a piece that will fit my early 73' side shifter? want to sell it if it's what would work with mine? my teener was a 1.7 but now 2056 if that matters

mike
fitzm1
Won't fit yours either. This is evidently for a tail shifter.

QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 15 2009, 05:55 PM) *

so is this a piece that will fit my early 73' side shifter? want to sell it if it's what would work with mine? my teener was a 1.7 but now 2056 if that matters

mike

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.