Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another one lost to rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
It's finally time for the tangerine 72 914 to go away. I bought it a few years ago for parts. Someone had started a restoration on the car about 1986. Bought a lot of new parts and started some restoration work on the chassis but then let the car sit for years. Rust started eating the car from the bottom up.

I bought the car with about $1500 of un-installed new parts in the cabin and trunks. Got a pretty good deal on the car. There is a couple of more good parts on the car that I'll be taking off. Not sure how far the disassembly will go. I'd like to save the time and just haul away a roller. But, kinda have a urge to break out the sawzall-smiley.gif

It all depends on how quick the disassembly goes.

If you need a part, pic or are close enough to stop by and twist a wrench or grap onto a sawzall - let me know. I plan to hit it kinda hard today and finish up tomorrow.

This one's done, its gotta go - I need the spot for another 914!!!
kenpolives
Good luck with the saw.... what you gonna do with the wheels? happy11.gif
seanery
If you're gonna work on it tomorrow (Sunday) let me know I'll give you a hand.
dakotaewing
If you decide to take out the sawzall-smiley.gif and the car has a complete front trunk,
I need to replace the AC hole in mine... Let me know what it would take $
to make it work -
Thom
Doug Leggins
Wheels - prolly sell, i'll know for sure in a couple days.

Front trunk - I know it has rust, I'll check it out in a bit. I'll take a pic if it looks salvagable.

Sean - i'll let you know about Sunday. I'll either be takin this one apart or looking at a 72 in Greencastle.

Back out to the car - time to get to the bottom side to start the motor/tranny removal.
McMark
I'll buy the left front fender if it's in good shape for the cost of shipping and your time to package it. Take a screwdriver to it and scrape the paint away to see if there's bondo there.

I only need the outer fender and you can cut it between the wheel opening and the door. I'll post a picture tonight when I get home.

Greyhound shipping should work fine.
kafermeister
Doug, I still need a few more parts for der kafermeister special. How does the front panel behind the bumper look? I just need the outer 6 or so inches on each side. Basically, from the inner wheel to the fender.

Rick
DrifterJay
how much fer the wheels??? smile.gif want some rivieras? lol....will sandblast them and make em pretty...
rezron
How about the right front fender - any rust or previous crashes? Probably need the same cut as
Mark D.'s post for the LF fender.

Thanks,
rezron
Pnambic
I could be game to help out too. Let me know. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
Doug Leggins
The tangerine 72 is worse than i thought. It is ate up bad with rust. Before I started I was considering taking off trailing arms and A-arms but they show too much rust to trust their strength. She's going to the yard as a roller. There is nothing I consider in good enough shape to cut off to save. I'll pull off the good stuff and send her on.

I was suprised by the cv joint bolts. All 16 were hex socket head cap screws instead of the star style cap screws. Did the early cars have regular hex cap screws? Or, did someone change them?
seanery
so, what's up tomorrow?
want some help?

lemme know, dan might want to come too.
Aaron Cox
mark B,

if his fender doesnt work out, i have a very nice LF fender. (red)

let me know. also have a pass side if you need it.
kafermeister
QUOTE(acox914 @ Mar 7 2004, 12:37 AM)
mark B,

if his fender doesnt work out, i have a very nice LF fender. (red)

let me know. also have a pass side if you need it.

If it's the same fender I've seen pics of, it would work out very well for Mark IMHO.

Rick
Doug Leggins
Sean - I'll be back by 12:30 - maybe a little earlier. I'll be working on the 72 then. If you guys can make it down that would be great. If you can make it down call 812340 0696

I'm going to go to Greencastle in the early AM to check out a 72. It could be kinda nice. Although I've found that the car usually is something much different than represented. I looked at cars that were described as gems but turned out to be horrible. And, i've looked at cars that were described as not very good that turned out to be great. Only way to know for sure is to check them out. I really kinda enjoy the hunt. Want to check out a 72?
seanery
sure, I'll be up early. Meeting a client to give him a finished project about 6 or 6:15.
Doug Leggins
That'll work. I'm trying to get to greencastle about 9:30. We need to set up a plan. Dan - you in?
Pnambic
Family obligations until at least 10:30, prolly 11:00. Gimme a number to call and I'll call when I'm free to see where you guys are.
Doug Leggins
Dan - I'll have my cell 340 0696
Pnambic
are you still in the 317 area code way down there? 765? confused24.gif
Doug Leggins
812 in the hills
seanery
Doug & Dan,
you can call my cell anytime-317-557-1257. I'll be up early (or all night).
seanery
Doug,
if you check this before you leave in a bit, I've gotta bail on looking at the car, but I'd like to help rip the other to pieces. I just got done with work stuff and want to catch a couple winks.

call me later 11 or so.
317*322*1047
Doug Leggins
leaving in a few - I'll call around 11
GaroldShaffer
Man I wish I live closer, this woud be fun!

- Garold
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.