Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riques newbie question of the day....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
When putting on the rear suspension, what is the best order to do it in?

Is it best to bolt on the front pivot point and then bolt that onto the car? Should I install the shocks at the same time, or install the arms and then the shocks?
Cupomeat
I would, if I were doing it;

- Assemble the trailing arm and the outer suspension pivot point loosely
- Bolt that assembly to the body. Make sure the pivot rod is in the middle with the splines going out enough on each side to "bite" and avoid turning.
- Then assemble the shocks/springs.

HOWEVER, do not tighten the lower bolt on the shock/spring assembly until the car is on the ground as it can add a significant preload on the shock.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 15 2009, 10:27 AM) *

I would, if I were doing it;

- Assemble the trailing arm and the outer suspension pivot point loosely
- Bolt that assembly to the body. Make sure the pivot rod is in the middle with the splines going out enough on each side to "bite" and avoid turning.
- Then assemble the shocks/springs.

HOWEVER, do not tighten the lower bolt on the shock/spring assembly until the car is on the ground as it can add a significant preload on the shock.

Thanks! That description as you put it, is the 2nd time I've heard it, seems to be the right way. Cool! biggrin.gif
McMark
1. Install the shock into the car and attach top nut loosely.
2. Install the outer 'cup' onto the trailing arm.
3. Slide the trailing arm over the axle shaft (if that's still attached to the transmission).
4. Slide the inner pivot into place, and lift the outer 'cup' into place and attach the bolts loosely.
5. Tighten the inner pivot nut.
6. Attach the shock loosely.
7. Install alignment shims.
8. Tighten outer 'cup' bolts.
9. Install brakes & axle nut & wheel.
10. Lower the car and tighten the axle nut & the shock bolt.
11. Raise the car, remove the wheel & install the cotter pin.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 15 2009, 12:21 PM) *

1. Install the shock into the car and attach top nut loosely.
2. Install the outer 'cup' onto the trailing arm.
3. Slide the trailing arm over the axle shaft (if that's still attached to the transmission).
4. Slide the inner pivot into place, and lift the outer 'cup' into place and attach the bolts loosely.
5. Tighten the inner pivot nut.
6. Attach the shock loosely.
7. Install alignment shims.
8. Tighten outer 'cup' bolts.
9. Install brakes & axle nut & wheel.
10. Lower the car and tighten the axle nut & the shock bolt.
11. Raise the car, remove the wheel & install the cotter pin.

I don't have the trans in yet, will this be difficult to install with the rear suspension already in?
Cupomeat
Nah, the tranny is much easier to install after the suspension, IMHO.

Once the trailing arms are in, you can install the azle shafts and stub axles as a unit, hand tighten the axle nuts and then install the transmission whenever.

If the transmission is already in, it isn't much more difficult, but the clearance for putting the axles in is less. (Not impossible, just harder)

Also, depending on the method one uses for Engine/tranny installs, you could use the rear wheels if the trailing arm is already installed.

McMark had a good step by step, with or without the transmission being in the car.

Good luck and get it aligned...
McMark
Nope. No worries.
PanelBilly
Thanks for asking. I'll be looking at this thread next week when all my new parts arrive.
McMark
See! All you lurkers.... hide.gif

Even the 'stupid'* questions are helpful.

*there are very few stupid questions, and this is not one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.