Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: l@@king for wiring diag. 4 stewart warner 3 wire volt gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
does anyone have the wiring diag. for wiring up a (3 wire?) stewart/warner voltage gauge?? ALSO it'd be great to know if there are any o.e. wire harness wires i can hijack into if need be.

thanks, beerchug.gif mike
GeorgeRud
Don't have one, but the wires should be +12 volts, ground, and illumination. You can figure that the ground wire will be zero resistance to the gauge body, and the illumination will light up the guage, so the only connector left will be the +12 volt.

I would hook up the illumination wire to one of the current guage lights, so it will dim along with the others. The ground can go to any good ground point, and the 12 volt should be connected to any switched hot on the fuse panel.
orange914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 15 2009, 08:56 PM) *

Don't have one, but the wires should be +12 volts, ground, and illumination. You can figure that the ground wire will be zero resistance to the gauge body, and the illumination will light up the guage, so the only connector left will be the +12 volt.

I would hook up the illumination wire to one of the current guage lights, so it will dim along with the others. The ground can go to any good ground point, and the 12 volt should be connected to any switched hot on the fuse panel.

the strange thing is there are 3 isolated (not grounded to body) wire hook ups that go thru the casing to the gauge(plus the bulb with it'short power lead), thats what gets me... one is marked "S", one marked "I" and one not marked.

i'm wondering if maybe:
1] the "S" is stator hook up (hot when running, like hooking a choke pull off to be hot only when running).
2] the "I" on the alternator i think is always hot... "I" to that???
3] unmarked to ground?

any thoughts, maybe someone has a new s/w gauge w/ included wiring directions poke.gif

thanks
Cap'n Krusty
Friends don't let friends use SW gauges...........

The Cap'n
neil30076
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 15 2009, 09:22 PM) *

does anyone have the wiring diag. for wiring up a (3 wire?) stewart/warner voltage gauge?? ALSO it'd be great to know if there are any o.e. wire harness wires i can hijack into if need be.

Google is your friend -
http://www.stewartwarner.com/Tech/tech1.html
biggrin.gif
orange914
QUOTE(neil30076 @ Jul 16 2009, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 15 2009, 09:22 PM) *

Google is your friend -
http://www.stewartwarner.com/Tech/tech1.html
biggrin.gif

yeah, thanks, i googled them a few days ago and it seems the only way i can get the the wiring is in the gauge catalog. got one coming.

i was looking on e-bay and relized that there must be 10 ameters to 1 volt gauge. that made me really think that maybe a ammeter would be better anyway

dry.gif
neil30076
If you have the part number try calling summit racing - they sell them and their tech support is usually very good -
Cap'n Krusty
If you run an ammeter, you have to install it inline, meaning you have to have a largish quantity of big honkin' wire and find a place to run it .............

The Cap'n
orange914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 16 2009, 02:09 PM) *

If you run an ammeter, you have to install it inline, meaning you have to have a largish quantity of big honkin' wire and find a place to run it .............

The Cap'n

your right, maybe that'l keep the volt in there.

now i'm thinking about years ago on one of my first cars... i probably ran 10 gauge wire on an ammeter, holy shit. how did i ever keep power to to rest of the car without it being a fuseable link

mike
Joe Bob
Ammeters suck....I gave mine the float test. It failed. I think it's less rusty now at the bottom of the Pacific....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.