Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear wheel bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
My supplier of rear wheel bearings has almost doubled in price for SKF rear bearings. The bearings were out of stock for a month, then they went from $32.50 to $59.90. Has anybody else seen this?

I also found a place that has no name rear wheel bearing for $12.82. I assume they are made in CHINA. I wonder what the quality is like? I know the old addage you get what you pay for but some stuff is just overpriced because of the name.
Cap'n Krusty
Considering the fact that the retail (well, discount) price you quote is , more or less, about the same as the discount price of that bearing 40 years ago, I don't see the problem. Actually, it's somewhat cheaper. When our cars were new, this part sold regularly for around $85. As demand grew, the prices went down. The "whore factor" of the internet helped immensely. Now that demand is fading, the prices are gonna continue to rise. That's called "economy of scale". The good thing about the $12.50 substitute is you will become experienced and proficient at wheel bearing replacement.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.