Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floor and Engine Sound Deadener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
Interior cleared out and got my sound deadener for the floor and interior side of rear bulkhead. For those who have already done this, did you run the deadener up the inner side of the long and across it's top or stop at the floor/long joint? Also, how far into the pedal area? On the front wheel wells??

Any help appreciated.

Paul
Joe Owensby
I used the thicker Dynamat Dynapad. I ran this up the sides of the longs, and over the top to the trim that splits the door carpet from the jam. The extra thickness was troublesome where the carpet covered it and then was terminated at the trim piece that edges the carpet. If I were to do this again, I wouldn't use the thick stuff over the top of the long near the door. I would terminate it at the top edge of the vertical section of the inner long. The reason I used the thick stuff was that I wanted both sound and thermal insulation. If you used the standard Dynamat or similar material, I think it would be good to run it up the sides of the longs and up the front of the floor also. You want to cover as much as possible to reduce noice and add insulation. I don't think the small thickness of the standard material would affect the carpet at all. JoeO
turnaround89
I used edead, which is really thin, however, it didn't really do much for sound deadening, i just used it to make it easy to glue the carpet to. I did the entire cabin area since the stuff is thin and fairly lightweight.
McMark
The bigger and flatter and thinner the area, the more sound it's going to transmit. Floors are good to do. Firewall is good to do. Door skins are really good. Wheel wells would be good just for rocks hitting, etc. Longs wouldn't benefit as much because they're thick and relatively small.

I've started using SecondSkin Products and have been very happy.

The more product you can put on, the more sound deadening you'll get. So you need to balance how much weight you want to add to the car, versus how quiet you want it to be. Also realize that you will gain the most benefit from quieting the loudest source, which is the engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.