Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake rotor question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raw1298
Ok. So I order new rotors about 18 months ago, I give the production date on the car and it appears that they don't match. Which is the correct front rotor for a 06/72 production date car? (I got these from an ebay store headbang.gif ) Was the suspension upgraded to the later type or did I recieve the wrong rotor for a 72? I should have looked before now I know:/
Cupomeat
Ok, although I can't really tell from the pictures, It appears that the old ones are hub centric later style rotors and the new one is an earlier version.

Besides that I can't tell anymore.
raw1298
Here are some close ups.
SLITS
the ones on your car are hubcentric. Generally referred to as '73 and later. They have the ridge for centering and holding the wheel in place.

the rotors you bought are for an early car '69 thru early '72(?). The change was made sometime in '72.

They are not interchangeable. Sell them to someone and buy the later hubcentric style.
raw1298
Any interested parties? headbang.gif
tat2dphreak
The factory changed the strut housing, ball joint, caliper and rotor at VIN 4722919032

I feel your pain, I did the same thing.

on the plus side, if you are like me, your front A arms are loaded for a front sway bar... that's a nice bonus... it doesn't help this situation or anything, but there's a bright side...

on my1st 72 (early 72) I'd done the BMW brake 'upgrade' since my brakes weren't working... but those couldn't transfer over either...
raw1298
I am glad I checked them before I shipped them to get redrilled to the 5x130 pattern. That would really have been a waste of time. I could let them go with the yellow car. It is a 71 and should use that rotor. I have learned the hard way on alot of areas of this car. My next one should be cake biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.