Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still having shifter problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ellisor3
I have had this ongoing problem with the shifting. Everytime I try to shift into Rev, 1st, 4th or 5th, the shifter slides to neutral. It will not stay in those positions. I do not think I have a clutch issue, and I can not find a linkage issue. It appears that all the bushings are in place, and nothing is broken. Please take a look and provide any suggestions. headbang.gif
tat2dphreak
2nd to last pic.. I don't see a firewall bushing

1st pic I can't tell what I'm looking at...

the second pic looks... odd... I can't put my finger on it, but it's been a long time since I looked at the bottom of mine. you do have the piece where that front rod attaches to the shifter, right? that's the only part I don't see a pic of....

it could be your linkage is just out of adjustment.. or you might have a tranny problem
rick 918-S
Your firewall bushing looks way big for your shift rod. And is the cone screw loose on the u-joint? I would back it out and chedk ti see it is seated in the dimple on the rod. It may be tight snug but not seated so the u-joint can move on the rod. Look at the way the cone screw looks on the dog foot, then look at the cone screw on the u-joint.
shoguneagle
I do not like the looks of any of the bushings! Everything appears to be well worn.

I think Rick may be onto something regarding the cone screw. It does look like it may be loose; or, sheared. How are splines in the shift lever? What you have is something not holding in the external positions, both laterally and lengthwise.

Another possibility is that the shift linkage at the gear shift may be adjusted to short and it vibrates back to the normal position of 2nd/3rd.

I will be under my car later this morning and will see what "could be going on" with your shifting.
jsayre914
i think your missing one of these rolleyes.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jul 17 2009, 02:06 PM) *

lol, aren't we all...
ellisor3
The first photo is the bottom of the shifter, there are supposed to be two plastic plates, and upper and a lower. I am not sure if these plates are supposed to move apart as in the photo. I will check the other suggestions and get back to you.

Thanks
VaccaRabite
Replace your bushings and cone screws. You issues will likely go away. Pelican sells a kit to do this.

Your firewall bushing is either not there or so worn it may as well be not there.

Zach
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 17 2009, 12:09 PM) *

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jul 17 2009, 02:06 PM) *

lol, aren't we all...

biggrin.gif no.
ellisor3
Everything is tight from front to back with no slipping. Take a look at this picture and tell me what it says.
rhodyguy
in the shot with the shifter ball, those 2 bushings should be on both sides of the ball (one on top and on on the bottom of the ball). looks as though they are both on one side. incorrectly installed or something has worn and collapsed. either way the shifter assembly needs to be rebushed. there should be a spring in there too. firewall bushing is worn, badly from looking at the picture. presume all bushings should be replaced rather than going thru the system repeatedly.
rhodyguy
that allen screw was loose? regardless, your bushings are in need of refurbishing.
ellisor3
The allen wrench goes straight through the hole, isn't there supposed to be a screw in there to keep it from spinning on the head???
SirAndy
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Jul 17 2009, 11:49 AM) *

Take a look at this picture and tell me what it says.

Looks like you're missing the allen setscrew on the back of the shift rod ...

shades.gif Andy
rhodyguy
what allen? i just checked a trans laying on the foor. it's a triple rolled pin. hollow. unless the piece is not solidly fixed to the shaft keep looking.
URY914
Correct, that is a shear pin not an allen bolt.
ellisor3
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 17 2009, 04:20 PM) *

what allen? i just checked a trans laying on the foor. it's a triple rolled pin. hollow. unless the piece is not solidly fixed to the shaft keep looking.

So there is supposed to be a hole and no screw?

Is there supposed to be in play between the horizontal shift rod head and the vertical transmission shaft?

Mine appears to slip a little around that shaft (I hate when that happens)
rhodyguy
the pin may have partially sheared allowing for some movement. the ball lever (the part on the shaft) should be solidly fixed on the shaft. the lever should neither rotate or move up and down on the shaft.
Dr Evil
Since the allen wrench goes through the roll pin I would not think it is sheared, but check to see if there is any play.

Your cup bushing in the last pic is cracked and looks like poo. I agree that you need to change your bushings and address the issues mentioned with the incorrect shifter bushing placement in your stick shift.
ellisor3
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 17 2009, 04:39 PM) *

the pin may have partially sheared allowing for some movement. the ball lever (the part on the shaft) should be solidly fixed on the shaft. the lever should neither rotate or move up and down on the shaft.

I think you are dead-on, there is movement both vertical and horizontal around the shaft. Not much but enough to make a difference

How do you seperate the head from the shaft?
Do you simply drive the pin out one side or the other?
SirAndy
Well, what do you know, mine has a allen screw in there ...

confused24.gif Andy
SirAndy
Like so ... idea.gif

IPB Image
URY914
Be careful driving that pin out. I would start with drilling out as little as possible and than use the next size up. DO NOT use a drill bit size that will screw up the hole that the pin goes thru. After you drill out some material, try to press the pin out using a c-clamp and a smaller pin.
Dr Evil
Post #10 left side shows the screw you pictured, Andy.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 17 2009, 01:07 PM) *

Post #10 left side shows the screw you pictured, Andy.

Really? My eyes must be getting old ... To me, it looks like there's just a hole, but no screw ...
popcorn[1].gif

IPB Image
rhodyguy
andy, look again. you pictured the rear shift coupler in the shot off of your car. the dr has a trick or 2 for removing the pin i'm sure.

andy, the whole bracket and shaft system appears dif in your car. what sort of trans are you running?
ellisor3
Thanks a lot guys for the help aktion035.gif , got the bushings on order, does anyone know the part number for the Shear Pin?? I can not find it in the manual.
Dr Evil
I dont think you can order the pin, but I have a few used ones if you need.
rhodyguy
the 2 ball lever bushings aren't included with the bushing kit if that is the way you ordered. seperate items. if you've never taken apart a shifter assem before, you're in for a treat.
URY914
The springs will put your eye out.
Dr Evil
agree.gif Wear safety goggles.

If it would help, I have a spare shifter that can be rebuilt for you and you can just swap it in. Let me know.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Jul 17 2009, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 17 2009, 04:39 PM) *

I think you are dead-on, there is movement both vertical and horizontal around the shaft. Not much but enough to make a difference

How do you seperate the head from the shaft?
Do you simply drive the pin out one side or the other?

Yes smile.gif
ellisor3
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 17 2009, 05:16 PM) *

I dont think you can order the pin, but I have a few used ones if you need.

I just checked with the bird, it is only available from Porsche of Germany, 2-3 month deliverly. So, yes I do need it, if you will PM me and let me know how much. The bird said the part no. was 900.309.010.00 and it should be a 6mm x 3mm roll pin.

I was just reading the instructions for disassembly of the shifter, may be easier to get a new one. I will get this pin replaced and new bushings and see how it works before I go there. Thanks again to everyone

ellisor3
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 17 2009, 05:32 PM) *

agree.gif Wear safety goggles.

If it would help, I have a spare shifter that can be rebuilt for you and you can just swap it in. Let me know.

Let me know how much, that would be great.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 17 2009, 01:11 PM) *

andy, the whole bracket and shaft system appears dif in your car. what sort of trans are you running?

Dr Evil
Andy has a JWest kit in there.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 17 2009, 07:35 PM) *

Andy has a JWest kit in there.

Yes. But the part in question is bone schtock 901.
I still don't see the screw in his picture, but i concede to the eagle-eyed majority ...

James, apparently, your screw is fine!
cheer.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.