IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Smitty911
Wow, that is just Sad, hard to look at actually. Reminded me of my 73 that burned on the North Bound side of the 5 Fwy 11 years ago.

Do you know what caused the fire?
Tom
That's terrible. So where did the fire start? Paper tags means newly purchased too.
That is just soo sad.
Tom
porschecb
Looks like arson!
Sleepin
Wow. sad.gif
jsayre914
Fuel line??
sad.gif
URY914
Please bow your heads for a moment of silence
dr914@autoatlanta.com
sad sad sad, a fuel injector between the green and the black plastic out of the blue, atomized the fuel. Guy was driving down the interstate, loving it, Heard a BANG and saw flames. Tragic unavoidable happening
blitZ
Holy Hell, that's horrible. Hope the driver is OK.
stepuptotheMike
barf.gif wow....
dr914@autoatlanta.com
So now we need a replacement car for him. 2.0 most of the original paint the rest perfectly matched, never wrecked totally rust free everything original fuchs alloys needs nothing Anything available
ellisor3
We can rebuild him, we have the technology. Well maybe not that much technology. bye1.gif

Sad Day. Thankfully he was able to get out of the car.
rick 918-S
Can't help with locating a replacement just wanted to say holy Schnikkkkiieee!

What was the cause? Injector failure?
jhadler
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 17 2009, 01:33 PM) *

sad sad sad, a fuel injector between the green and the black plastic out of the blue, atomized the fuel. Guy was driving down the interstate, loving it, Heard a BANG and saw flames. Tragic unavoidable happening

Wow! That trully sucks...

Note to all: This should be a very good reminder that sh*t happens, and a little preparedness can go a long way. A hand held fire extinguisher may not have entirely put out that fire, but it sure might have helped control it if caught early enough...

Hope the driver of the car (or anyone else) wasn't hurt.

Sad...

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

-Josh2
URY914
So what do you think the value of the car was???
tod914
Wow what a shame. I was looking at the one on your website George. Looked liked a beautiful car, especially for what you were asking for it.
defianty
Ouch! Sad to see.
Racer
In a way, those pics are also kind of cool. Never saw some of that stuff before, like the steel cords from the tires still on the rims.

Mine's not exactly what you're looking for, but I am sure you guys can make it so.. just pull the cage, cooler, seats and steering wheel and replace with the OEM parts that were removed wink.gif .. Malaga Red 2.0!

Here's mine: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1192608

and here is a more tame twin to my car as well, listed here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=96456
MDG
That's a killer, George. Bob in Carolina (naro914) has a pretty nice looking Zambezi '74 2.0 listed he is selling for someone. Pretty clean looking original car
rudedude
That is so sad to see happen!
Is the tub able to be salvaged? It doesn't look like it is too warped.
I might be looking for one.

Jule
championgt1
icon8.gif barf.gif icon8.gif barf.gif

Note to self: Buy fire extinghuser for car!
turboman808
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jul 17 2009, 02:05 PM) *

icon8.gif barf.gif icon8.gif barf.gif

Note to self: Buy fire extinghuser for car!

Make sure mine is still charged.
jsayre914
can we now start a group buy on fire extinguisher.

who has them and for how much??

seriously
ericread
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jul 17 2009, 03:37 PM) *

can we now start a group buy on fire extinguisher.

who has them and for how much??

seriously

agree.gif

Let's be sure to include a extinguisher attachment - maybe like one that attaches under the seat and which places the extinguisher directly in front of the seat? If we don't have a place to store the extinguisher, we won't keep it in the car. idea.gif

Eric
914rat
smoke.gif smoke.gif I'm sure glad I converted to carbs. stirthepot.gif
r_towle
George,

Did you just sell that car?

Rich
JRust
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=97540

There is this one in the classifieds. Dang that really sucks. I bought a burned 6conversion a few years back. Was absolutely awesome for the parts. Damn near cried when I went to pick it up though. You could tell it was a beautiful car before the fire. Really felt for the guy who put all that work into it only to lose it that way headbang.gif
Katmanken
Yup, that looks familiar....

I saw one go from a 914 idling at the stoplight to that mess.

Tires inflate when on fire and..... POP!

I bought a halon fire extinguisher specifically for the car after that.

A coupla observations:

Keep the extinguisher in the seating area....

If you keep it in the engine compartment and the engines on fire, the lid won"t open.

If you keep it in the rear trunk, it might have a puddle of flaming gasoline under it that's fed by the fuel lines.

A crowbar in the cockpit might be handy to open the engine compartment.

Don't forget to look under the car to put out the pool of flaming gasoline.
914werke
Boy that brings back bad memories (shudder) sad2.gif
Mine looked just like that icon8.gif
The good news is it is possible to fix, the bad is you REALLY have to have a
good reason.
914Owner
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 17 2009, 01:30 PM) *

Please bow your heads for a moment of silence

What a shame. It was a really clean looking car.
Cevan
That truly sucks. Good time to inspect all the fuel lines and hose clamps and get an extinguisher. I can get this one out pretty fast if I have to exit in a panic.

Click to view attachment
ArtechnikA
curious thing about the holes in the front trunk lid ...
carr914
This just brings back the memory of my 73 Olympic Blue 2.0 that went up in flames in 1996.
Click to view attachment
The only thing that was left was the gas tank blink.gif - no engine, no tranny, no rear wheels, no steering wheel nothing Nada. Of course it took the Gomer Pyle Volunteer FD a while to get there and then they threw water on a magnesium fire blowup.gif .

Very Sad to see another sacrificed to the God of Fire. I agree the Green car that Bob (naro) has would be a good replacement. Close by too.

T.C.
iamchappy
Made sure i am well covered now.

Me and my hunting buddies weren't so lucky last fall.
poorsche914
QUOTE(914rat @ Jul 17 2009, 06:45 PM) *

My carb'd 914 backfired and caught the air filters on fire. Luckily had a fire extinguisher and was able to put it out before too much damage was done. Insurance paid for a top end rebuild.
KELTY360
I haven't seen this car, but I was told by someone who has that it's very nice. Been for sale for a few months with price drops from 10k to 8k. Long ways away unfortunately.

'75 2.0
ghuff
All the more reason to get off 35 year old injectors!

Reminds me why i bought 2 meters of fuel line, I will be replacing all the rubber engine bay lines this weekend and getting a fire extinguisher :|
brant
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 17 2009, 07:31 PM) *

curious thing about the holes in the front trunk lid ...

I'm guessing those holes are probably from the responding fire personel
they would normally try to open the "engine hood" to put out the source of the fire
I'll bet they assumed the motor was in front and were trying to get the lid open

or else, they knew the tank was in front and were still trying to get things opened up to extinguish the tank?

bcheney
This serves as a great reminder....everyone is providing excellent points on how to stay PREPARED. Thanks for sharing...
Katmanken
All of this has brought up another idea from the one I saw burn.

One of the problems is once the lines in the engine compartment area burn through, the fuel flows freely from the gas tank into the engine compartment area and puddles under the car. Its this feeding of gas that keeps the fire going in the engine compartment and under the engine.........

It might be anal but a coupla passenger compartment fuel shut off valves (one on the send line and one on the return line) might help quench a fire........

I'm thinking top of the tranny tunnel or a set of line pinchers kept in the front trunk to pinch the rubber fuel line under the tank if you have the 75-76 front mounted pump .....
dw914er
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jul 17 2009, 10:40 PM) *

QUOTE(914rat @ Jul 17 2009, 06:45 PM) *

My carb'd 914 backfired and caught the air filters on fire. Luckily had a fire extinguisher and was able to put it out before too much damage was done. Insurance paid for a top end rebuild.

I had a carbed 55 t bird backfire and did the same thing. Luckly I was able to get the extinguisher on there in time and only had to replace the carb and filter, and fix some paint... thank god with that

but wow... those pictures put a tear in my eye... sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.