Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Started a father son project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
My 14 year old son and I are going to rebuild an engine. It's either going to be one of those project we'll look back on as hard work and a success we shared or his first realization that dads don't know everything. Either way it's something we share an interest in and something we can do together.

Here's Gerry cleaning the case
DNHunt
He did a nice job.

Dave
Bleyseng
Looks like slave labor to me..... chair.gif
DNHunt
Pretty damn close. But, he thinks its fun. laugh.gif

Dave
rhodyguy
fun. you're a lucky guy dave. nice father son deal.

kevin
ChrisReale
just make sure he wears ratty clothes in the garage or his mom will kill him (and you) laugh.gif
ThinAir
You can tell he's just getting started - He's still clean!

Nothing more fun in my book than a father-son 914 project unless it's a husband-wife 914 project.
rhodyguy
JESUS!!! what the hell is gerry doing spraying the case with berryman's while it's sitting in his lap? ohmy.gif

kevin
DNHunt
He was using Berryman's and cotton swabs to get the dirt and grime out of the recesses on the inside of the case halves. You wouldn't believe the amount of dirt that was on and inside this thing. I started cleaning it Monday morning with Berryman's. Wednesday I spent 4 hours at a parts washer and then Thursday and Friday mornings I worked before work on it. I got up at 4:30 this morning so I could get in some cleaning before the kid's B-ball games. The thing gleams now.

I don't want to offend anyone but I wanted him to get a feeling for how tedious work can be. He put in a good 2 hours. Enough so he groned when he got up. Music to my ears. Lesson 1: It can be rewarding but working on cars is a hard way to make a living.
ThinAir
I was thinking that he was just getting started with working on cars, not just with the particular task at hand. He just looks like he's being so incredibly careful! Once you get used to working on stuff you learn to not worry about the clothes and you end up quickly looking like you have been working all your life at this stuff!

For a first shot at this 2 solid hours is pretty good. Hopefully you get quickly to where he can start seeing how it all works together. That's when it gets to be fun.
SirAndy
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Mar 6 2004, 04:07 PM)
Here's Gerry cleaning the case

haha, are you turning him on to sniffing break-cleaner? laugh.gif

that's one damm nice and clean case you guys got there.
i'm jealouz already ...

let us know how it goes,
Andy
bernbomb914
my son and I work on my car and enjoy it very much. I started him out many years ago working on race cars. Super Vees formula Atlantic etc. He went on for 20 years working on all sorts of cars. He had a serious heart attack and is now disabled. We keep him busy working on the 914 and we have a great time together.

Bernie
Bleyseng
Ernie, I met your son tonight. Nice guy with lots of stories about you!

Geoff lol3.gif
Bruce Allert
Dave, seeing that clean case makes me want to tear the 2.0 down farther & clean it all the way but I still don't know if it's gonna run so I'll have to be satisfied with what I was able to get to with everything bolted on! That Berrymans really works fine smilie_pokal.gif The bottom of my case really gleams too. smile.gif

.........b
Joe Ricard
Best thing a dad can do to his son. Make him learn 2 things:
1. how to turn wrenches for a hobby.
2. learn turning wrenches for a living is not fun.

Christopher just got his acceptance letter to Mississippi State "Engineering" Plans on starting in the fall. aktion035.gif

2a. He will have to learn to tell other people how to turn wrenches on his own.
Aaron Cox
i second that.

my dad and i did a 914 over a summer. very fun process. i currently work with my uncle restoring / modifying old cars.

turn wrenches for a hobby....not a living. (both my dad and uncle are engineers) good advice
TheCabinetmaker
Dave, he's 14. He's already figured out "dad don't know everything" laugh.gif I spent the first ten years of my life looking over my dad's shoulder while he was working on the family cars in the fifties. Brake adjustment and bleed, oil and filter change, wheel bearing clean/pack/adjust, complete tuneup, every 2000mi. He spent the next ten years watching me!!!! Our first rebuild together was a 1953 Chevy 235 6cly. Dad's not here anymore, but that chevy still runs.

Cheers, Curt
ThinAir
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 7 2004, 12:48 AM)
Ernie, I met your son tonight. Nice guy with lots of stories about you!

Next to my wife, he's my best friend. I just wish he didn't live 150 miles away so it would be easier for us to work together on stuff.

No matter what he told you about me being responsible for his 914 addiction, it was HIS idea to get his first 914! Of course I didn't try to talk him out of it so I suppose it's still my fault. laugh.gif
Bleyseng
In Seattle we have lots of unemployed engineers all the time due to Boeing hiring and laying off. I have hired some over the years to work for me in construction.
As a qualified auto mechanic you can always find a job, not always the best work but its a good job.

Blair and I have had lots of fun working on cars together. We were out today looking for a new ride for him.
My dad could barely change the oil! I learned from a friends dad about cars. Hmmm, first car I took apart was a 54 Plymouth for a valve job. Gotta love those old flathead sixes.
Geoff
J P Stein
Ayup, says right here on the label "Avoid prolonged contact with hands, skin, or nuts" laugh.gif

Keep the kid away from that shit till after he's fathered a few grand kids, Dave. It doan matter much if us old farts squirt it in our laps. w00t.gif
DrifterJay
I am a mechanic...I work 70hrs+ plus a week...3 more years and I will be out...(army)...it is hard work...a lot of satisfaction at the end of the day...but I definately dont see myself as a mechanic in ten years.... wink.gif. I agree with you all...just wish I didnt screw around so much in high school....live and learn.. smile.gif
Jared
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.