Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Removing paint from paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
championgt1
This happened in the last week. I washed my wifes car today and there are tiny white paint dots all over her black car. headbang.gif I am prepared to buff the entire car, question is does anyone have a suggestion on a good product to use that can remove the paint specs?

Blurry picture. This covers the ENTIRE car! ar15.gif

Click to view attachment
turboman808
I would try clay bar before you do anything else.

If that doesn't work then a use the porter cable with a mild polish.
r_towle
get a rag with some lacquer thinner...most spray paint will thin out and wipe off with lacquer thinner.

Its wont harm your clear coat or your paint.
It WILL remove all the wax so be prepared to wax after.

I also like the cleaner/wax from meguiers...

Rich
jasons
I had this happen when a guy who did a convertible top for me, spray painted the top frame. I used a clay bar and it worked great. You should wax after the clay bar since it strips the paint of all protection.
Katmanken
Mineral spirits if it's waxed....

The mineral spirits should soften the wax and let the overspray come off without wear and tear on the paint.....
jmill
Do you know where it happened? Whoever did it should pay for the detail job. Unless you did it. Then the clay bar or mineral spirits should do the trick. BTDT.
rhodyguy
nice jack. where did that happen? take it to a pro. this is a near new car guys. go over to bruce titus's and see what they recommend.
championgt1
Not sure were it happened. Not even sure that it is spray paint. It looks thicker like a latex house paint. My guess is my wife was behind a truck that had open paint containers.

Clay bar sounds good but is going to take FOREVER!
VaccaRabite
The clear solution is to stop washing your wife's car.
The problem will then take care of its self.

smile.gif

Zach
ellisor3
QUOTE(kwales @ Jul 18 2009, 09:08 PM) *

Mineral spirits if it's waxed....

The mineral spirits should soften the wax and let the overspray come off without wear and tear on the paint.....

agree.gif My wife's father owned a painting business and I worked for him for a several summers in high school and college. I did the exact same thing with a spray gun on a windy day. Mineral spirits is the easiest and quickest if it is latex paint.
burton73
Lacquer thinner is to hot you should can try mineral spirits as it will not attack the paint under it. You need to be careful or you can get in trouble with thinners that are to hot (aggressive)

Fine polishing compound should remove it.

Bob
ellisor3
You might even try very warm soapy water and a soft bristle brush even before the mineral spirits. If it is latex paint, it typically does not stick to slick serfaces very well.
6freak
Get ahold of me Jack i have what you need
craig downs
If its water base more likely alcohol will take it off.
scotty b
It's toasted. Sandblast it and put it on jackstands. time to start all over. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Oh and it is wHere.

Yeah I'm a dick

In all honesty try the clay bar, don't put too much faith in it, then try the mineral spirits. If it is lacquer or urethane, Rich has it right. Usr lacquer thinner but be carefull with it. It WILL re-activate the clear if you put it on or work it too harshly. Another option is to wet sand it off and find a buffer.
r_towle
lacquer thinner reactivates an acrylic enamel clear coat?
news to me.
I have never had that happen.

Funny story. My Dad worked in an office park that is next to the large radio tower station for a bunch of radio station. The guys were redoing one of the towers, sanding and painting the tower...it happens every once in a while.
So the guy is way up there, with a huge compressor on the ground and a 55 gallon drum of paint setup in a suction type spray gun.
The hose broke.
Every car, Dad's included got a fine dusting of oil based enamel paint...industrial grade tower paint...

The insurance company sent every single person a check to cover a complete paint job...
Dad got a can of buffing compound and rubbed it all out...then waxed it...you would never be able to tell.

Rich
scotty b
Yes the haziong that occures is a reactivsaiton. Soak a rag in laquer thinner and go rub a panel on your vanagoin. Dare ya. You WILL need to take a buffer to it afterwards. Simple science, you paint your car, you clean your gun with.....lacquer thinner....therefore thinner will reactivate a cured clear coat. Granted I did say it would take a fair amount of thinner and a fair amount of rubbing, but when I give advise I give it to the the guy who has little to no knowledge of the process. You or I could safely use thinner on that car, but some others do not know how to properly treat the situation, and could very easily end up with a major FUBAR situation. Again, soak a rag in thinner and go rub on your vanagons door for a few minutes and see what happens.........
r_towle
for one thing...its a Eurovan...way more car than some shabby vanagon.

Second...the paint on the Eurovan would never run, melt, or reactivate...its special armor. The Van kicks ass.

I have soaked the gun the lacquer thinner...still got paint on it...its heading into a vat of paint remover now...that should clean it...

Rich
scotty b
Eurovan........ eurospam it's all processed pork to me. :poke
championgt1
The car has a pretty fresh coat of wax. So maybe the mineral spirits will work. I know that I will be waxing the car no matter what method I use to get this shit off! It is really on there. I am even having a tough time getting it off the glass. Sometimes it is not even worth having a new car. ar15.gif
6freak
QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 20 2009, 08:44 AM) *

Get ahold of me Jack i have what you need

Jack....please press one for english
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.