Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you unlock the steering column w/out key
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
415PB
Mike, I'm gonna try and pick up the car tomorrow (hopefully) but there is no key, how can I unlock the steering column?
boxstr
You Can't , I think you are going to need the key.
CCLINKEYME
415PB
Thanks Craig, I sent you an email...
Malmz
The lock pin is under spring tension. I have done one, but it has been a while. I know you have to pull the steering wheel, pull the blinker assembly. Remove the screw and do-dad that covers the inside of the lock assembly. Usually, this is where you would stick the key in, turn it, and pull it straight out. Somehow I was able to get something into the pin to push it into the lock. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly how here... there may be an access hole? Or I used a very small screwdriver?

Oh yea, or call a locksmith and pull out your AAA card...

sm
Mueller
for a permenant solution= brute force will work....stand on the outside of the vehicle and grab the wheel at the top...pull towards you (counter-clockwise)...I've had to do it once........ smash.gif
rhodyguy
there is a pin that pops out into the steering colum from the switch. it pops out when you remove the key and the wheel locks. i should think you will distroy it with the pin out. is the ignition switch broken? a good locksmith will come out and and make impressions with a soft blank and then cut you a steel key. i think mine was $70. it was done when my car was stolen and came home without a key. with the key, the switch comes out easily. you will still have to have a key made to fit the locks. why tear the thing apart?

kevin
415PB
Well, I'm picking the car up for Mikez and I am going to tear it up sawzall-smiley.gif . It's a rust bucket. The key's were lost and i only live a few miles from where the car is parked. I'm just going to use a tow rope to pull it. So breaking the column is definately a solution.
rhodyguy
tell me your not taking it to palm desert from santa barbara? with a tow rope. use a 5 pound maul. pull the wheel, run the nut down, impact socket, 1/2 inch breaker bar.

kevin
steve@ottosvenice.com
Once you have the wheel off remove the Two srcews holding #8 in place then going to the small hole with a very small allen wrench and push down the retaining spring to remove the lock. Steve
rhodyguy
what's #8?
steve@ottosvenice.com
Lets try that again
steve@ottosvenice.com
Third Times the charm
rhodyguy
if you are refering to this hole, where the spring rests under #8, is a dead end. the spring pushes on #8 to keep the ignition switch from rattling around. just out of curiosity, what's a good switch with a key worth?

kevin
SirAndy
no, there is a small access hole in the part of the column where the whole lock slides in.
use a small pin or allen wrench through that hole to push back the pin that holds the lock in place.
it will slide right out!

Andy
415PB
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 6 2004, 06:13 PM)
tell me your not taking it to palm desert from santa barbara? with a tow rope. use a 5 pound maul. pull the wheel, run the nut down, impact socket, 1/2 inch breaker bar.

kevin

laugh.gif Nope, I will be towing it a few miles into my garage.
Joe Bob
It's my brother's......he got it from my Mom's neighbor that slightly died.....he had delusions of getting it running....it's a rusty POS.

Problem is, the car is in Cathedral City....four hours from Santa Barbara....Rod is gonna pick it up...sawzall it, throw some parts my way, a few $$ to baby bro, and then the board gets the pick with compensation to Rod for cutting it up.....

Rod..... BTW....save the VINs and paltes and stuff, I need to turn it into DMV to get it off the books. One in the fender well the other is under the windshield....I'm sure you know that though.... beerchug.gif

I need the handles, rear calipers and the rear hubs....
415PB
Ah man Mike, I needed the rear hubs...
rick 918-S
Bring a spare column and change the whole thing.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(415PB @ Mar 6 2004, 09:12 PM)
Ah man Mike, I needed the rear hubs...

Well "talk".... rolleyes.gif
Rgreen914
Rod

Don't want to cause a 415, but if there happens to be a good windshield as the result of this caper, keep me in mind!
415PB
QUOTE(Rgreen914 @ Mar 7 2004, 12:45 AM)
Rod

Don't want to cause a 415, but if there happens to be a good windshield as the result of this caper, keep me in mind!

laugh.gif No problem...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.