Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tradgedy in Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
This week a local man was crushed under his 69 Camero. He apparently had the car up on wooden blocks. When his wife found him he had the differential in his forehead and the blocks had kicked out. ohmy.gif

Lessons in restoration:

1 Car ramps are cheap
2 Axle stands are cheap
3 Funerals are not cheap
4 Death is forever!
5 If you have enough money to restore a car, then you have enough money to do do it safely.
stock93
I think it must be camaros. I was working on one for a friend of mine and of all things the front left wheel on my floor jack decided to break off. As a result the car came off the jack. I had just slid the jackstands under the car. I wasnt under it yet as I was positioning the jackstands so I was reaching under it a little bit. It scared me pretty bad.

I'm thinking about pouring some concrete ramps into the driveway when I buy a house. Kinda make my own perminant little pit.

John
anthony
I always go for redundancy when I work under a car. I use both my 2 1/2 ton floor jack in addition to jack stands or ramps.
RustyWa
My sisters ex-husband was working under a car held up by I think only a jack. She walked out of the house just in time to see the car fall on him. She was able to jack the car up and pull him out. He was like 6'-3" and at least 200 lbs. She was probably 5'-6" and 125 lbs.

He was really messed up for quite a few months.
Doug Leggins
Just for that exact reason, I always have a back-up support under the car.

Be Safe!
rick 918-S
You never get a chance to do that one over. headbang.gif Nothing more perminate than death. Not even taxes.
Rgreen914
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Mar 6 2004, 04:24 PM)
...he had the differential in his forehead...

'69 Camaro...was it a twelve bolt w/disc brakes? Those were a very rare option and the twelve bolt was the heavy duty diff! But seriously, think the wife will try to sue GM?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.