Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front mounted fuel pump.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FourBlades
Here is how I am thinking of mounting the fuel pump for my carbed car. I
am leaving enough fuel line to be able to lift the tank out without disconnecting
the lines. I plan to bold the fuel pump to the front tank wall. I may or may not
cut an access door the way later cars were done. I will attach the line so it does
not rub on the anti roll bar. I was going to coil up the return line under the
lowest part of the tank. I am using fuel injection hose in case I ever convert
to fuel injection and for resistance to alcohol in modern fuel.

Before I bolt this up I'd like to see what people think.

I realize I am probably guilty of dead horse.gif

Click to view attachment

Thanks,

John
jmill
Looks nice but you'll need to pull the tank to change the filter. If that doesn't bug you go for it. I personally like to be able to get at everything easily for maintenance. Make sure your lines stay clear of the sway bar and rotating steering components.
Katmanken
Make sure you clear the tank. I cut an opening where the factory one was and it's tight.

Remember Murphy and the corollary to his law... parts will fail to cause the most inconvenience - aka when you are dressed in expensive clothes, or when yer tank is FULL
McMark
agree.gif I'd put the filter closer to the access hole on the PS. That way you can get to it after the tank is in. Consider that you probably won't ever have to mess with the pump, but the filter will need changing. And pulling the tank can scratch paint.
Mr.242
Unless, I am missing something; why wouldn't you just mount the filter at the other end in the engine compartment?

Mark
rfuerst911sc
If you cut a hole in the bulkhead like the later cars you won't have to pull the tank to change the filter. I just did this install this morning on my 75 chassis. I mounted the CB Performance fuel pump/filter combo to the cover. I left plenty of service loop on both ends. I hooked up the line ( singular for carb ) and lowered the tank into place. All the time I had the fuel pump/cover laying on the floor of the trunk. Once I had the tank in place I slowly fed the fuel lines into the hole and angled/slid the fuel filter in first. When looking from the front trunk the filter is on the left and then the pump. No kinks in the line and all is well. biggrin.gif You want a fuel filter before the pump to stop debris from the tank/fuel getting into the pump. A second filter in the engine bay is good also, I did this to keep my Webers clean.
McMark
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jul 19 2009, 11:38 AM) *

Unless, I am missing something; why wouldn't you just mount the filter at the other end in the engine compartment?

Mark

The filter will keep crap from clogging/stalling the fuel pump.
FourBlades

I am thinking of cutting a hole as rfuerst911sc suggests.

Seems easier than doing maintenance through the little round hole
from under the car.

John
Katmanken
I've seen a couple of clean mounts where they mount the pump and filter in the front trunk area in the area where the spare goes. There was room for the pump and filters in one of the the corners and one or two small holes were cut low in the bulkhead for the hoses to pass.

Just a thought....

You about ready to drive that thing down 5th ave in Indialantic?
FourBlades

I nearly went with the spare tire area mount but I was worried the fuel lines
might get ruptured in a big front end collision. I think they are a little more
protected being in the fuel tank area. Maybe I am just being paranoid.

I can't wait to drive it, but debugging the electrical has me a little worried.

I heard from a PCA friend that another 914 fanatic has moved to melbourne.
I am hoping they will give me a call soon...

John
marks914
That is how I had mine installed. Nice clean look, but my car seems to eat fuel pumps. I ended up moving it to the spare tire side of the bulkhead for easy changing.

Mark
FourBlades

Mark,

Are you sure you have good electrical connections, weak connections might
cause your pumps to fail.

I wonder if the fuel pumps overheat in the enclosed space under the fuel tank?
Maybe there is a way to ventilate the space a little into the steering rack area?

John
pcar916
IMHO, put it on the spare tire side, and as high as you like. It allows you to change the filter without having to drain the tank... in your case, completely drain the tank.
Use steel braided line if you're worried about impact resistance.

Click to view attachment
Cupomeat
The design of modern (yes our cars) fuel pumps is that they cool themselves with the fuel that is run through the pump and with a system of FP regulator bleed-off and round trip circuit, the pump is always moving fuel (and cooling itself).

The only way to hurt the pump, besides general wear and crap in the tank, is to ask the pump to run at a reduced voltage, thus increasing the current to the motor and adding to the overall heat of the windings.

SO, if your fuel pump burns out, rewire it first before moving it out side of the original location below the tank as I doubt the [front] location adds to the heat factor on the pumps

Just my $0.02.

NOTE: This is only for Stock FI applications, I thought of that after I posted.
Katmanken
Fourblades,

I wouldn't be too concerned with mounting the pump in the spare tire area and front end collisions.

Here's why: The spare tire lays flat.

Many years ago, I was walking towards A1A and the beach, I saw a yellow 73 Superbug have it's front end hit a stopped car at 45.

It looked exactly like my wife's car so I ran down to see. sad.gif blink.gif

The driver unbuckeld the seatbelt, he climbed out of the car, and we started looking at the damage. It appeared that the crash crumple system worked as follows: First the front bumper crumpled into the body and absorbed energy. Second, the front of the car crumpled inward to absorb more energy until it hit the spare tire. Once the spare tire was hit, the horizontal tire acted like a giant balloon and absorbed a lot more energy. As it absorbed energy, the spare was pushed back into the rear bulkhead about 4 inches and absorbed the rest of the impact.

Morals of the story? With VW built products of that vintage with horizontal spare tires, keep yer spare properly inflated. Mount yer pump to the side. And if your pump is in one corner next to the tire, it will quite probably will survive the impact better than a centrally mounted one directly behind the tire and bulkhead.
tod914
John what metal filter did you use?
FourBlades

Kenny,

Hmmm, I got to look at where the spare will go in a front ender...

Tod,

I am using a filter that came with my carter rotary pump. I am pretty sure
I ordered the pump from Jake Raby, his type IV store may sell them
separately.

John

rfuerst911sc
You can also mount the filter/pump under the car near the steering rack. Easy access buy putting the car on jackstands and removing the steering rack cover plate.
tomeric914
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jul 19 2009, 11:38 AM) *

The filter will keep crap from clogging/stalling the fuel pump.

I used the same fuel pump setup and relocated the filter back just below the engine tin. As long as your tank has a good fuel pick-up screen, you won't need to worry about chunks getting stuck in the pump. It's been in for over a year now with no problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.