Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Surface Rust Treatment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
Pulled out my front trunk seal today and found the channel underneath rusted. I have similar rust in the bottom of the rear trunk. I still have to take the wire wheel to it, but it appears to be only surface rust. My goal is to have a daily driver, so it does not have to be perfect but I want to keep it from getting worse. The plan is to treat the rust and then apply touch up paint to the area. What rust product would be best for this? I heard it is difficult to get a top coat to stick to POR-15. Thanks.
Click to view attachment
pktzygt
I use this stuff Rust converter on my truck. I just hit it with a dremel wire wheel and spray this rust converter and then topcoat it. Seems to work well so far. Inexpensive and easy to use on places that nobody looks at anyway.
ellisor3
I have been dealing with a lot of surface rust and have been using the Eastwood products. They are not cheap but in my opinion provide a much cleaner serface for painting. I used the two part process, but I am pretty sure you could simply paint over the Rust Coverter. The Rust Encapsulator is the second stage.

http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutions/treatment.html
tod914
Just a suggestion, but I would get all the rust out. Wire wheel it out completely, it's not bad. Mask off the surrounding areas with a couple layers of duct tape so you dont scratch anything.
Try one of the converters & use a heavy or medium grit sandpaper and keep sanding it out untill you get no more rust or black converted metal. Then do the Por15 or Eastwood thing to seal it up if you dont want to bother with painting it.
EyeTrip
I have been using WWW.rustbullet.com for almost 10yrs now on my vw notchback and so far its been the best stuff I have seen yet.
EyeTrip
2 other items you might look at is pickleX20 from eastwood and generic from the hardware store is ospho.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Jul 19 2009, 02:13 PM) *

I use this stuff Rust converter on my truck. I just hit it with a dremel wire wheel and spray this rust converter and then topcoat it. Seems to work well so far. Inexpensive and easy to use on places that nobody looks at anyway.

The link goes to HomeDepot but can't show the product. wacko.gif
pktzygt
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jul 19 2009, 08:14 PM) *

QUOTE(pktzygt @ Jul 19 2009, 02:13 PM) *

The link goes to HomeDepot but can't show the product. wacko.gif

Strange, it works on my computer. Anyway, it is a spray can of Extend - Rust Neutralizer made by Loctite. you get off the loose rust then spray the stuff on and the rust turns black.
IronHillRestorations
I've been using Must For Rust.
ghuff
A couple of spots look like they have blossomed out there and are going to be through.

Plan for that, just in case either welding it with thin gauge sheet metal or using a product to patch the left over holes in the now clean metal.

I ended up using por-patch on the holes in my seal channel. Time will tell how ti holds, I used tape to mask off all the paint and wire brushes + stripper.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=96896

There is the thread I posted my work on my 914. Once I stripped off the stupid seam sealer the body shop put on, and got the rust sanded/wired/ground/eaten away there were holes. I say this because my rust looked like yours before I started removing it completely.

reality is the fender joins should have had metal put in as should have the holes above the bucket, but anything is better than exposed rotting metal.

Next paint job, the fenders/cowl are going to have to get attention on my car.

(I did the entire seal channel fwiw)
tracks914
I didn't know there was such a thing as "surface rust" on a 914??????
saigon71
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jul 21 2009, 01:21 PM) *

I didn't know there was such a thing as "surface rust" on a 914??????

LOL! Sticking with my "surface rust" description until I hit it with the wire wheel.
nsr-jamie
what kind of wire wheel you using? I want to do this to my car too....there is this tiny hardware store in my area but they didn't have anything to fit my grinder...
dlestep
...try Permatec Rust dissolver. Clean the area to metal, then brush this on. After 15 minutes, wipe off with damp cloth.
Rand
Lots of products. Many are the same thing, just presented under different brands and packaging.

Personally, I am a fan of using some sort of wire wheel to get rid of as much as possible, then treat with Ospho. It's a reasonably priced version of good ole acid rust converter. After following its instructions, paint. It has to be sealed with a good paint job... Rust needs oxygen. Keep it out.

If you have more than surface rust in a structural area, that's another matter of course. Gotta cut out the rot and weld good metal in. But this topic seems to be minor rust. Wire wheel, Ospho, paint.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.