Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

I know this is off topic, but just looking for help.

On Friday I drove my son's 944 down to Costco. It was a hot day. The fan stayed on when I left the car to go into the store and it was still on when I returned.

Note: Operating temperatures were mid range, which is what I'd expect, given that a new radiator was put into this car.

When I got home the fan wouldn't go off, unless I unplugged it.

Another data point: The second fan wasn't on, even though I had been using the AC.

So I read one of the repair manuals and they suggested, if the fan remained on, that the coolant switch (in the radiator) was faulty.

So got a new switch, took the fan assembly out of the car and swapped out the coolant switch. I also tested both fans and they work.

So I put the fan assembly back into the car and when I reconnected the power, with the car cold, the fan went on.

I'm not sure what to check next, but any suggestions will be appreciated.

www.barrickpickeringracing.com
jasons
I can't remember if my problem was exactly the same as yours, I think I just had a fan that didn't run. On my old 89 S2, there was a bad resistor up under the cowl. Mine had 2 really big resistors to regulate fan speed. Honestly, when I saw the wiring to them it kind of scared me, because the insulation was all dry and cooked. My resistors were on the passenger side under the cowl. IIRC you have to pull the battery to get them. I don't know if this was the same for all years.

jcd914
Probably the cooling fan relay is stuck, not real uncommon on 944's. If you have a wiring diagram you could trace out the fan circuit and see if anything else other than the radiator switch operates the relay or the easier method, swap the relay with a known good part.

What year 944?

Good luck
Jim
scotty b
agree.gif
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 20 2009, 04:45 PM) *

Probably the cooling fan relay is stuck, not real uncommon on 944's. If you have a wiring diagram you could trace out the fan circuit and see if anything else other than the radiator switch operates the relay or the easier method, swap the relay with a known good part.

What year 944?

Good luck
Jim

agree.gif Clarks garage will have the info you neeed to check it out.
Randal
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 20 2009, 05:45 PM) *

What year 944?

Good luck
Jim

I have a good used relay and now know where it goes. Also found a blown fuse, number 3 controlling the fan motors, so maybe the relay blew the fuse.

I'll pop in a new fuse and then see what happens. If the fuse blows then I'll swap out the relay next.

Thanks.

mudfoot76
+1 on checking the fan relay. I don't have experience on a 944, but in working on my friend's 968 with him, his radiator fans would do the same thing. Replaced the relay and the fans now function normally.
grantsfo
I have conducted root cause analysis on this problem. I conclude root cause is, ...its not aircooled. Sell said 944 and buy son a 914.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 28 2009, 08:27 PM) *

I have conducted root cause analysis on this problem. I conclude root cause is, ...its not aircooled. Sell said 944 and buy son a 914.

What, I'm being called on asking a 944 question by a boxster guy?

Oh, btw, if you ask Loren he already owns "222."
r_towle
I am awaiting your diagnosis.
Please share...

Our issue is the fan wont come on.
I rigged a toggle switch.
Rather not have to remove the whole raidator to get a stupid thermo switch in...poor design...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.