Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SUNAB914
Well, to make a long story short. Took my 74 restoration to my dad's in Florence SC 200 Miles one way) for his B-day. He gave me car due to health, so I restored it. 2000 miles on complete rebuild, great daily driver and I felt good about it making it. It made it, Camp Lejeune to Wlington then 74/76 to I95 then to Florence SC. Lots of people straining their neck and lots of thumbs up at 70-80 mph. Got to Flo town took pops out for a drive, 80 years old. Then me and my brother go to hotel to check me in. Start to come home, maybe 5 miles back to house and the car looses all power to engine. So here we are in a drug store parking lot just a few mile from home. Check all the wires, everything looks good, but I can't hear the fuel pump. It will start but bogs or acts like its OK then tries to die again. Somehow we limp it home on back roads dying a few times, and dies one last time as we coast into the driveway. I'm pissed, but take a few minutes to check it out. No fuel coming to carbs, and I can't hear pump at all. Anyway, car left for dad to look at in his garage, and I ride back with wife to NC. Guess I'll be making a trip to repair and drive back within the next two weeks. I'm so glad this didn't happen on I95. CB rotary pump will be ordered by tomorrow. Reminds me when I was 16-18 years old again...
SUNAB914
pic from late winter.
Cupomeat
That Sucks man,

I hope it is an easy fix, and let us know what the problem was.

BTW, you let your Teener see snow? I cover the front of the car, whenever it snows so it doesn't get any rusting ideas... biggrin.gif
DipShit
I had the same thing happen to mine. I could bench test the pump on the car and it would run. I cleaned the connections and life has been good since.

I'd clean the connections before you spend the money on a pump.
SUNAB914
No ice driving, this was just a quick photo op. We only get snow once in three years. I wanted to spend time with the family, so I just checked the wiring at the distributor, ground and pulled the fuel line off the carb and turned ignition on. No fuel pump noise or fuel. The fuel pump is under the steering cover. Shouldn't be a big deal, and I'm glad it didn't have to be towed. I'll check it over real good when I go back down.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jul 19 2009, 03:51 PM) *

CB rotary pump will be ordered by tomorrow.

You won't be dissappointed. . . I've had one of those pumping fuel in my '66 bus for almost 13 years with absolutely no problems.

Sorry to hear about your break-down, but it's a good excuse to spend more time with Dad. IMHO that can never be a bad thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.