Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Video: Chevy HHR "Race Car" Molotov Cocktail at Road Atlanta
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
Here is a short clip of some in car video from our FP 914 this past weekend at Road Atlanta... Len is behind the wheel. (more video to come when I get it edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JVLy2fsq0M

When we first hit the grid on Saturday a Chevy HHR was on the grid with us.. we all thought it was a support vehicle for another racer until the cars rolled onto the track... When the guy started passing everything on the track except two SPU cars we wondered what the hell it was as he was dusting fully prepped cars on the straights and holding his own in the corners and under braking...

Come to find out it was an HHR Turbo, something I didn't even know existed.. Powered by a 260 HP a 4 cylinder Ecotec. Yesterday in the Race on the second lap it exploded into a ball of fury right in front of Len. The video tells the whole story!
carr914
As Paris Hilton would say, "That's Hot" blowup.gif

T.C.
ConeDodger
Daaaaamn! blink.gif
wobbletop
Yikes!

Driver ok?
Car survived?

Any word on the cause?
Jake Raby
The engine scattered.. everything came out the bottom.

Driver was fine, HHR wasn't too bad.. a little smokey, but fine...

blitZ
Quite a spectacular blow up. Jake & Len's car sounds great.

Congrats on your wins. smilie_pokal.gif

http://forums.aircooledtechnology.com/showthread.php?t=3516
Jake Raby
Actually that video doesn't do justice to the car/ engine/Len.... It was in the afternoon and my tune was just a tad fat for the conditions since we had odd weather.. Saturday the tune was spot on! Wait till you see the highlights video I am working on..
PeeGreen 914
woops blink.gif Nice video editing Jake. Can't wait to see more or Len's race. driving.gif
HAM Inc
That was wild! The guy is a hell of a driver! (Former runoffs winner in something else and a hired gun in Grand-Am l later learned). I didn't know that beast was going to be on the track with us until the Sat race was under way. We had a split start with two pace vehicles. We were the front pack and there was a group of SRF's behind us with there own pace vehicle.

On what I think was the second lap this red kid hauler/soccer mom ride looking thing blasted by me on the straight between turns 5&6 (and I do mean blasted!) l didn't know what the hell was going on! My first thought was the pace car driver for the second group had lost his mind and was getting down with us. Then he goes hauling ass into turn 6 and I was sure he was going to dump it. He was on 2 wheels for a moment. I got out of it and damn if he didn't save it. We got through turn seven and pointed straight and he just left my ass. By the time I got to 9 he was going into 10a. Blew my mind!
r_towle
cool...

Rich
ghuff
The power of a turbo, anti-lag/no lift shift and torque. Those cars are making 300whp easy on a stock turbo with an ecu flash only to up the boost, more fuel and timing............

18k out the door or so depending on gov incentives.

But you still get GM quality which is what you see there.
ws91420
The HHR comes with a turbo with the SS model.
PeeGreen 914
Sounds like a lot if engine in a car that looks like that. Hey, al the power to the guy but I wouldn't want to drive one no matter what they had in there.
Jake Raby
The guy was throwing it around in the corners like nobody's business!! Going into turn 1 he was literally out of control and he admited that...

His other car is a Ferrari... Thats what he won a SCCA Title with last year..
Smitty911
Yup, one of the guys here at work has a SS TURBO that he's played with. It's plenty fast that for sure.

But you know what..........At the end of the Day, He's still in a Chevy. lol-2.gif
HAM Inc
flag.gif
But you know what..........At the end of the Day, He's still in a Chevy.

True! But that Chevy outran a Lotus Exige that was in our group on Sat and would have on Sunday if he hadn't grenaded. flag.gif ar15.gif

Jake Raby
But that Chevy outran a Lotus Exige

And so did you!!! The highlights video shows the even balance of our 914 and the Exige very clearly as you guys battled for several laps in each session tossing positions often.

Not bad for an 1800 :-)
HAM Inc
Not bad for an 1800 :-)

No doubt!!
Chris Pincetich
edit
Chris Pincetich
If you do not have a registration on Jake's forum, go get it and read
I just did.....

Len, can you please share more info on your custom bolt-on 901 gate pattern for the Rennshift??? beerchug.gif driving.gif

Nice work with your 914 race programs! You TIV junkies should ALWAYS be driving a 914 shades.gif
Jake Raby
I have been trying to convince Len to create a kit from this for a while now.. Fact is the parts aren't the only way he accomplished this because the install is a big part of it..

The shifter is so positive that words just can't describe it!! And it has a bad ass reverse/1st lock out as well..

No more cheesy ass bushings either....

The problem is I keep Len so slammed with TIV and M96 cylinder heads and machine work that he has no time to design a kit for this, or make the units.
914four
Amazing video!
HAM Inc
I have been trying to convince Len to create a kit from this for a while now.. Fact is the parts aren't the only way he accomplished this because the install is a big part of it..

Yeah there's more to it than just the gate. It's an entire system from the Rennshifter to the tranny. Manufacturing this unit for a dozen serious racers just doesn't interest me. I don't believe the street crowd will want it because the tub has to be modified and that crowd won't want to cut their firewall to accomdate my custom firewall bushing. Without it the system doesn't work as well.

The problem is I keep Len so slammed with TIV and M96 cylinder heads and machine work that he has no time to design a kit for this, or make the units.

And that gets to the crux of the matter! Plus, I like having one of the best shifting 901 boxed 914's on the planet!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.