Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Four 550's???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
Took the V8 for a quick canyon tour today (scary), saw the usual collection of 911/993/996's, two repro Cobras, a 350GT, assorted Ferraris, and untold numbers of crotch rockets. Then four Becks playing tag. Nice!!

But I had the only 914 out there, so exclusivity is ours! How about breakfast and a Mulholland tour next weekend?
biosurfer1
got a quick question...is there any way,by looking at the two, to tell the difference from a beck spyder from an original? i know the likelyhood of seeing a true 550 is nil, but i'm still curious...
John2kx
Howard,

I'd like to see more pictures of your car. Having a v8 myself, I'm always interested in seeing how others have performed similar surgery.

Saw the ebay pics.......more detail of engine bay, cooling system, exhaust etc. would be good for starters.

John
seanery
becks have proper windshields.
look closely at a real one and a beck and it should be easy to spot.
boxstr
This is a Beck.
CCLINLITTLEBASTARD
seanery
well damn, craig. so I should say, MOST Becks have proper windscreens. (A real one won't have one like this)
Like this one:
IPB Image
boxstr
The one I posted is a car that was recently for sale, sold for @$32000. It was a one custom 550 Spyder replica, alumium inner footwell panels, all custom fitted. An extremely nice Beck.
CCLINBECKSBEER
Howard
It's easy to spot a fake one. It's on the street with all the crazies. Real ones are at PCA events and museums. Real ones have less HP, worse brakes, and those neat alloy wheels. There was a Beck at Willow last weekend. Didn't catch his times, but looked good. Gotta love oversteer!

John, I'm still looking in wonderment at this beautiful installation. Will get down and dirty with camera tomorrow. Let me know if you want anything in particular.

Some things so far. According to temp gauge, it runs really hot 240 or so. But doesn't feel that way. Think sender may be in the wrong place. Don't have oil temp gauge, but oil not that hot to the touch after driving, engine and front compartments all seem OK. Where is your sender mounted?

Final gearing sucks. Tranny ratios spaced about right (don't use first) but final drive much too low. Speedo does not work, but according to gear chart 3000rpm=57mph. . How have you handled this?
boxstr
Howard My V814 runs @ 180 and then up to 210 when in traffic or at a stop, fan doe's kick on when it get s up at 210.
Is your car running Ron Davis ( Renagade) type aluminum radiator with dual fans??
Overheating and hot running seem to be a very common thread when these V814s are mentioned. Every cure you can imagine from Raditator cars, air bulbs in the system, incorrect fan rotation, thermostats, etc etc.
Personally I am new to the V814 so I don't have all the answers but I do know one thing, they are a kick in the ass to drive.
And I would do it again in a heartbeat.
CCLINV814
Howard
Boxstr,

I don't think it is running hot. Haven't found sender wire yet, may be leaning against exhaust smile.gif for all I know. Engine compartment is cool after running, and no typical overheating aromas. According to PO, dual tandem radiators with 2 fans. One is always on, the other is manual. Will take its temp a few other places.

Dern tootin it's a kick in the ass. Feels just like my 57 283/270 did (at least I think..that was a long time ago). 13 second 1/4 and such, if I had a muncie 4 speed. Afraid this transax wouldn't cut that kind of foolishness.

Still more concerned with gearing. Are you winding this high?? Get in touch when you come down to the desert, or will see you at June get together. Will let you know what I find in the next few weeks.
John2kx
QUOTE(Howard @ Mar 6 2004, 09:19 PM)

Some things so far. According to temp gauge, it runs really hot 240 or so. But doesn't feel that way. Think sender may be in the wrong place. Don't have oil temp gauge, but oil not that hot to the touch after driving, engine and front compartments all seem OK. Where is your sender mounted?

Final gearing sucks. Tranny ratios spaced about right (don't use first) but final drive much too low. Speedo does not work, but according to gear chart 3000rpm=57mph. . How have you handled this?

Howard,

I suggest we start a new thread on your cooling issues. There are at least 4 of us with V8s here and should be able to help you out.

I'll kick off the new thread.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.