Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noisy brakes.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stock 73 brakes. What front pads to use to mellow out the squeaking? Current pads have allot of meat and the rotors look fine also.
PeeGreen 914
Just pull the pads out and put a take all the edge off the pads so there isn't a 90 degree angle against the rotor....that may help with stock pads... I have never had stock pads sqeel other than because of the gunk build up. Non OE pads generally to squeek. My Pagid Oranges didn't but either do my Porterfields.... which is strange because every other one of those I've had do.
Cupomeat
Pad squeak (Squeel) is caused by the pad vibrating against the rotor and caliper.

I have found that it almost seems illogical which ones squeak and which do not, but a bit of anti-squeak paste on the backs of the pads does wonders for dampning the pad and reducing the squeak.

The chamfered edge approach can work as well, but tends to go away as the chamfer wears down.
PeeGreen 914
true... also very good advice... I use hondas break pad goo on all break jobs I do. Never have pad squeel.
Cupomeat
Yes, you can usually find it at the counter of your FLAPS and I tend to avoid those add on pads (between the pad and caliper) unless you clean every thing really well so it can stick.

The honda stuff works well, as does the VW/Audi sticky pads.
Thanks guys. Great info. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.