Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well i broke some bolts on my muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buhs914
ok so i was taking the muffler off before i drop the engine and 4 out of the 6 bolts that attach the muffler to the rest of the exhaust snapped. I guess i was hammering the wrench a little too hard lol smash.gif I don't know what to do now.. maybe i should drill out the broken ones? our will i have to get another muffler? btw the 914 is a 1973 1.7L..
r_towle
cut them off flush...drill them out (just a little bit more than 1/4 of an inch.
Buy threaded studs and weld them in place.
That is how they are made.

OR
Buy a muffler.

Rich
buhs914
ok cool. i'll go with the route that doesn't involve buying a new muffler. lol plus i enjoy a little more work..
Cap'n Krusty
"That is how they're made"? "Weld studs in"? Come on, Rich. The OE 1.7 mufflers are drilled and tapped for studs, and once you get the old ones out and the threads repaired, you just screw new studs into place. If you were to weld them, the weld would interfere with the gasket, and you'd be in a world of hurt.

For the person asking the question, penetrating oil and patience are your friends. WD40 IS NOT a penetrating oil.

The Cap'n
r_towle
the last one I fixed was welded in solid...I found it to be a stupid design.
I drilled a 1/2 inch hole around the top of the hole to allow for the weld to remain smooth with the face of the flange.

Not something I run accross daily so I would assume Capn is right....see of you can get them out.

Rich
buhs914
haha yeah i kinda threw patience to the wind.. there's a thunderstorm moving in pretty fast and the dust storm before it is even faster. next time though i'll take my time lol but yeah sounds like a fairly easy job.. hopefully.. btw the name's Antonio lol
thtiming
A torch and some spray on wart remover works wonders on a rusted bolt. Heat it up, spray it with that cold wart remover, and the quick expansion/contraction usually shocks them loose.
buhs914
ok so where can i get new studs?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.