Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My first 914...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeff21lee
here are a few photos of the 914 i picked up the other day... some interesting things about it are the 2 tops it came with (one metal and the other plastic) as well as the gold bumpers. it also came with dual 40 webers. should it have been fuel injected? let me know what you guys think. should i try to get it running or sell it and find a better project? the vin is 4702900880. thanks guys.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

KELTY360

welcome.png

Looks like a good place to start. Gold bumpers a definitely different.
914four
QUOTE(jeff21lee @ Jul 20 2009, 11:27 PM) *

here are a few photos of the 914 i picked up the other day... some interesting things about it are the 2 tops it came with (one metal and the other plastic) as well as the gold bumpers. it also came with dual 40 webers. should it have been fuel injected? let me know what you guys think. should i try to get it running or sell it and find a better project? the vin is 4702900880. thanks guys.

java script:emoticon(':wttc:',%20'smid_62')

Got any pictures of the engine compartment?
Rand
Welcome.
Metal top? Please tell more.
Gold bumpers...Not my style, but very subjective. Do as you like.
Dual 40s.... FI....
Yes, absolutely for sure.... Haha.
Seriously: Depends on the engine build. Single carb sucks without question. Dual carbs = complex answer. Yes, FI is better. How many new cars use carbs? But....
Dual carbs on stock cam: Not ideal but can be tuned by the masters.
Dual carbs with matched cam, with good tuning: Heck yeah!

Before I digress... Tell us more about your combo.
ghuff
I can't decide if the gold is tacky or different. If it were clean, and less brass like.

If the car had some 3 piece RS wheels black with gold bolts maybe.

Black centers + gold bolts, or matching gold centers and black bolts... I don't know.

That car looks pretty nice, and clean. bumpers and normal exhaust tips would make it great, imho.
championgt1
Looks pretty good. Someone got real happy with the red paint!

welcome.png
hot_shoe914

welcome.png How's the rust situation?
pktzygt
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jul 21 2009, 01:20 AM) *

Looks pretty good. Someone got real happy with the red paint!

welcome.png

Ohh damn! It took me a second to figure out what you were talking about.

I those bumpers provide you with a good excuse to get your bumpers re-chromed. I'm looking foward to that making its way on my priority list.

I'd take off the rockers and post some pics, also of the hell hole and trunks.

I'm also curious about what mirrors the car is drilled for.

I bet the tops are origional fiberglass with the origional finish and the other is the same but sanded down smooth and painted red.

If you are patient, you can find all the little things you need like light lenses and washer nozzles for decent prices used. *shameless plug* I'm about to post a LE front spoiler for sale. I'm sure I can count on the guys here to let me know if I'm asking too much or too little. This is the best forum I've been a member of...Tons or knowledge without turning their noses up at the the new guys like me.

Anyway, Welcome and I'll tell you, you be in deep before you know it.
ellisor3
welcome.png
Welcome to the club, meet some friends. Now say goodbye to your money, your spouse, and your sanity. This place is like an online asylum.

By the way I did not know Flavor Flav once owned a 914.
Just kidding, the gold is certainly different. Keep us posted on the progress.
carr914
welcome.png

Keep the Gold Bumpers - with the right color paint job & wheels, they would look cool. Like a Bling LE.

T.C.
ghuff
Gold +

IPB Image

Hrmmm.

Also is that a gold towel rack in the frunk? lol
Rand
Must be the distortion at the edge of the photo. But when I first noticed, I thought wow that's a lot of camber on the bug! biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Cupomeat
Love that pimp daddy gold!

Oh, and what the hell happened to the right rear camber of the blue bug in that middle picture? I'd never seen a bug like that.

Can you take some shots (well lit) of the area under the battery, and the engine bay. Then, take some shots of the underbody of the car, right below the back of the door. Once you take some shots pick at the area a bit with a screw driver and see if anything gives way, then take more pictures.

Otherwise, the front looks clean and ready for a restore (although I haven't seen under the trunk.

Once we see the hell hole, the longs and the jack points we can give a fair (across the internet(s) happy11.gif ) opinion of the car.
Shade Tree
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 21 2009, 10:10 AM) *

Love that pimp daddy gold!

Oh, and what the hell happened to the right rear camber of the blue bug in that middle picture? I'd never seen a bug like that.

Can you take some shots (well lit) of the area under the battery, and the engine bay. Then, take some shots of the underbody of the car, right below the back of the door. Once you take some shots pick at the area a bit with a screw driver and see if anything gives way, then take more pictures.

Otherwise, the front looks clean and ready for a restore (although I haven't seen under the trunk.

Once we see the hell hole, the longs and the jack points we can give a fair (across the internet(s) happy11.gif ) opinion of the car.

The bug just looks like that 'cause it's got an old swing axle and it's dumped to the ground. My '64 bug looked like that.... I thought it was cool at the time. I bought really cheap rear tires and kept replacing them every 6 months or so....Sorry for the hijack.... Carry on.

I agree those gold bumpers might look pretty cool with the right combo of wheels and paint.
jeff21lee
i took a bunch more pics for you all to look through. first, about my bug, yes it is cambered. it is from the swing axel rear end. that photo up top looks worse than it really is... ill post some photos so you can all see it.. back to the Porsche. the red top seems to have a metal skin over the top of a fiberglass base... you can see the metal through some chips in the paint in one of the photos. also, what the heck is the gold thing that i found in the front hood? weird. im not a fan of gold... sick. anyway, back to the body, it seems pretty rust free except for the floor pan... the whole thing needs to be replaced. so..... ya, im not sure what to do first.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
also, can anyone tell me what all the numbers on the plate in the last picture mean? are they option codes or something? color? something? lol thanks again guys!
-jeff
ghuff
That floor damage looks like it may be going into the longs/framerails there at the bottom.....

Won't know until you really get into it though....

Get some pics under the relay panel, and under the battery tray. That battery tray looks like it was welded in not long ago, hell hole may have been repaired in the past.....

THe problem is that repair could hve let a ton of crap into the longs before, causing them to rot inside out....
jeff21lee
are the floors very tough to replace? where can i find parts for this car?
jeff21lee
i wasnt quite sure what it was you wanted to see but i took a few more photos of that battery area....
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
pktzygt
That gold bar looks like a bumper guard to me. Like a brush guard for a truck. I kid you not, I've seen pics. I believe those are 944 mirrors, but I'm still a noob too.

Does anyone else see fiberglass in the 2nd to last pic? If it is, I'll promise you there is something under it that you need to see, but won't want to look. Does the door on the passenger side close smoothly? Door gap even?

AutoAtlanta has good diagrams of all the replacement sheet metal but there are plenty of vendors that sell it in the member vendor section of the forum.
ghuff
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Jul 21 2009, 05:22 PM) *

That gold bar looks like a bumper guard to me. Like a brush guard for a truck. I kid you not, I've seen pics. I believe those are 944 mirrors, but I'm still a noob too.

Does anyone else see fiberglass in the 2nd to last pic? If it is, I'll promise you there is something under it that you need to see, but won't want to look. Does the door on the passenger side close smoothly? Door gap even?

AutoAtlanta has good diagrams of all the replacement sheet metal but there are plenty of vendors that sell it in the member vendor section of the forum.

Is that glass? It looks like cobwebs and dust in the corner of the hell hole.

It looks like thick custom patches of sheetmetal in the hell hole, and a lack of engine tray/shelf as well..............

Fab something up to mate with the tin and keep it seperated.....

OP: Remove the plugs from the relay panel opposite the battery tray, and then remove the relay panel and clean th metal down there to see how that side is...

paroxysm
You should keep the red theme going by painting the seats, dash, bumpers, and tires.
jeff21lee
awesome. thanks man. ill check out that autoatlanta place and the member vendors. here is another pic of the plate on the drivers side door jam... what do all the numbers mean?
IPB Image
pktzygt
QUOTE(ghuff @ Jul 21 2009, 09:27 PM) *

QUOTE(pktzygt @ Jul 21 2009, 05:22 PM) *

Is that glass? It looks like cobwebs and dust in the corner of the hell hole.

It looks like thick custom patches of sheetmetal in the hell hole, and a lack of engine tray/shelf as well..............

Fab something up to mate with the tin and keep it seperated.....

OP: Remove the plugs from the relay panel opposite the battery tray, and then remove the relay panel and clean th metal down there to see how that side is...

I was looking just below where the light hits in the pic.
jeff21lee
QUOTE(paroxysm @ Jul 21 2009, 06:33 PM) *

You should keep the red theme going by painting the seats, dash, bumpers, and tires.

sick. lol-2.gif
jeff21lee
here is a better picture of that corner you were looking at... i think they may have used some sort of fiberglass or something in there... sad.gif
IPB Image
ghuff
Yeah that definitely is glass.......... ruh roh.

Time to start digging in........
type47
I'd say drop the engine because it'll be easier to reinstall the cooling tin and the carbs with the engine out.
ghuff
QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 21 2009, 06:46 PM) *

Did I read the VIN on this car correctly? It looks like 4702900088 which makes it a very, very early car!

Yes and originally signal orange.
jeff21lee
QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 21 2009, 07:46 PM) *

Did I read the VIN on this car correctly? It looks like 4702900088 which makes it a very, very early car!

actually i believe it is 4702900880... still one of the earlier ones on the registry here.
and yes, signal orange. i wish it still was.
type47
I didn't read it correctly, the VIN is 4702900880 as was in a reply. Still early though.
watsonrx13
Hey Jeff, here's a link to my website showing how I replaced the engine shelf (yours is missing), the battery tray and the right rear suspension ear....

-- Rob
nsr-jamie
Welcome to the club, looks like a 70 model. Don't see so many of them around nowadays...any pics of the interior??

Cheers
Jamie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.