Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifts into 1st only when rolling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zeezee
9 out of 10 times I cannot shift into 1st when fully stopped without a fight.
Shifting into first works fine when I'm still moving... but then I have to sit at lights with the clutch pushed in.
It's the same cold or hot.
Shift linkage shifts well otherwise. No grinding. Cones and bushings are tight - checked and rechecked. Clutch gets fully engaged. Running 85/140 with required GL5 goo.
Other gears sync fine at a stand still.
I recently replaced the whole 1st gear syncro assembly - is there some magic adjustment I could have missed?
That's funny. I can only shift into 1st when stopped. rolleyes.gif
markb
Try shifting into 2nd, then into 1st while stopped & see what happens.
zeezee
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 20 2009, 10:16 PM) *

It slides into 1st no problem.
dw914er

Yea that... Mine is the same way as yours. I usually just sit with the clutch engaged at lights and shift while moving, but going from second (or reverse) to first also works without the fight. Doesn't bother me since it doesn't grind though
PRS914-6
You shouldn't have to comply with some "system" to get it into first. It should downshift into first or drop in at a standstill without having to work at it. Here are some things to consider...

Did you replace the dogteeth?

Did you replace the dogteeth with a specific 1st gear one?

Did you replace the shift sleeve?

If not, were the teeth rounded on either piece?
zeezee
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jul 20 2009, 11:09 PM) *

You shouldn't have to comply with some "system" to get it into first. It should downshift into first or drop in at a standstill without having to work at it. Here are some things to consider...

Did you replace the dogteeth?

Did you replace the dogteeth with a specific 1st gear one?

Did you replace the shift sleeve?

If not, were the teeth rounded on either piece?

I replaced the dogs and syncro band with nearly new 1st gear set. Dog teeth are sharp - syncro is VERY tight.
BUT used existing slider.
See: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=92931&hl=
Where you suggested, several times, to replace the slider as well.
Could this shift problem be a result of bad slider teeth?
Dr Evil
If your slider has teeth at all this should not happen. No grind = yer teeth on the slider aint flirting with the dog teeth.

When you reinstalled the slider, how did you make sure it was in the correct position? My first guess given all you have written is that the slider is too far aft and needs to be moved up towards 1st a little. Remove the tail cone, loosen the 13mm bolt that holds 1st shift fork, move the slider so that the teeth are parallel to but not yet over lapping the synchro band, retighten the 13mm bolt so this position is maintained, reassemble the tail cone.

This is of course if the external shift stuff is in good shape, which you alluded to.
Dr Evil
Just checked other thread:
Those slider teeth are fine. If you assembled the synchro band assembly wrong then it would be popping out of gear so that is not likely the problem.
ellisor3
I have been haing a lot of shifting issues as well. Check your U-Joint bushings. If they are worn they can make your 1st gear seem hard to find. Replacing mine to day. 911.424.233.03

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearc...FILTER_91442=13
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(zeezee @ Jul 21 2009, 12:26 AM) *

It slides into 1st no problem.

I've driven 4 914s tranny's that all do that... including mine(all new bushings, everywhere)... I thought it was "normal" to have to shift down to 1st, instead of straight to 1st...
zeezee
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 21 2009, 12:36 AM) *

If your slider has teeth at all this should not happen. No grind = yer teeth on the slider aint flirting with the dog teeth.

When you reinstalled the slider, how did you make sure it was in the correct position? My first guess given all you have written is that the slider is too far aft and needs to be moved up towards 1st a little. Remove the tail cone, loosen the 13mm bolt that holds 1st shift fork, move the slider so that the teeth are parallel to but not yet over lapping the synchro band, retighten the 13mm bolt so this position is maintained, reassemble the tail cone.

This is of course if the external shift stuff is in good shape, which you alluded to.

The last time I put 1st gear back together, I shifted it into 1st, and snapped the slider on to the syncro band and into the dogs as far as it would go and tightened the bolt. Unless the fork has loosened up - I don't think I can move it any further forward.
I really feels as though the syncro band is just too snug snapping into the slider ... sometimes.
Dr Evil
When you install the slider that way you set the whole 1st works up for wearing out the synchro band. If you move the slider all the way forward, that is. It is true that 1st gear tends to do what you describe if the synchro band is new. The newer bands are stiff as hell and take a while to work in.
zeezee
Thanks for all the feedback!
I'll look at 1st gear again - I believe I made sure it all disengaged properly.
Assuming the syncro band is overly snug - would a lighter oil be helpful?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.