Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well that's a new one.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Smitty911
History, I bought the car about a year ago, 1974 2.0 non-runner.

HEELTOE worked on it, got her all dialed in and running Good. Thanks for that.

I havn't driven her much due to some job travel. Sat 5 months, I know, I know, but I wasn't home and the wife think she's ugly and won't sit in it until the new interior gets done.

Charge Battery, Start her up, take to car wash, fill tank with Gas. Drive to work and back no problems tops off and loving life.

Yesterday, I'm driving home and I hit the brakes, TACH starts swinging back and forth (normally does not work) Red Generator light comes on, and Gas Gauge swings to empty. Odd.

Turn on turn signal, TACH swings with flasher, Gen Light on, Gas Gauge swings to empty.

This happen today on my way to work again so I think we can rule out intermittant. LOL

Gen light now has a constant very dim glow.

I don't know squat about electricity, and 30 years of people telling me it's like a water pipe is getting really old. I'm sure I can track down a broken wire, if I know where to start looking, but with all the different areas to inspect, confused24.gif

Any pointers on where to start?

Thanks for you time.
neil30076
QUOTE(Smitty911 @ Jul 21 2009, 09:23 AM) *

History, I bought the car about a year ago, 1974 2.0 non-runner.

HEELTOE worked on it, got her all dialed in and running Good. Thanks for that.

I havn't driven her much due to some job travel. Sat 5 months, I know, I know, but I wasn't home and the wife think she's ugly and won't sit in it until the new interior gets done.

Charge Battery, Start her up, take to car wash, fill tank with Gas. Drive to work and back no problems tops off and loving life.

Yesterday, I'm driving home and I hit the brakes, TACH starts swinging back and forth (normally does not work) Red Generator light comes on, and Gas Gauge swings to empty. Odd.

Turn on turn signal, TACH swings with flasher, Gen Light on, Gas Gauge swings to empty.

This happen today on my way to work again so I think we can rule out intermittant. LOL

Gen light now has a constant very dim glow.

I don't know squat about electricity, and 30 years of people telling me it's like a water pipe is getting really old. I'm sure I can track down a broken wire, if I know where to start looking, but with all the different areas to inspect, confused24.gif

Any pointers on where to start?

Thanks for you time.

Alternator belt slipping maybe - if you have a voltmeter check the battery voltage - should be around 12.6 when engine not running, around 13.6 - 14.5 when running.
Spoke
Sounds like a ground wire off somewhere. Normally one circuit (like turnsignals) shouldn't affect another circuit (like gas gauge). Some interaction is ok since headlights/turnsignals cause local voltage drops.
Cap'n Krusty
The FIRST thing you need to do is check all your fuses. Spin them, remove 'em and wire brush the contacts and the ends of the fuses, maybe even replace 'em, and see what happens. The Cap'n
john rogers
The 5th fuse from the right (I think) has probably come loose or fallen out. Might be the 4th but I could be wrong?
orange914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 21 2009, 08:52 AM) *

Sounds like a ground wire off somewhere. Normally one circuit (like turnsignals) shouldn't affect another circuit (like gas gauge).

agree.gif like spoke said "one curcuit shouldn't effect another"... what do they have in common? if they dont share the same ground the faulty curcuit can back feed to get a ground from other sorces when it's own fails. it really sounds weird but 90's g.m. truck's had an issue with thre side marker lights losing grounds. when the turn signals are used BOTH dash turn indicators will flash. this is because it's backfeeding somewhere through another curcuit and getting ground there.

QUOTE(Smitty911 @ Jul 21 2009, 08:23 AM) *

take to car wash

Yesterday, I'm driving home and I hit the brakes, TACH starts swinging back and forth

Turn on turn signal, TACH swings with flasher, Thanks for you time.

another possibility:

after paint kenny installed the removed tail light bulbs, when the brakes where stepped on the tach died. why? shorted/backfeeding, a 1156 bulb was installed where a 1157 should've been (or visa versa). bulb corrected, no problem. maybe water from the wash got into your rear lights shorting them? those rubber lense seals seem to always be cracked and not sealing
underthetire
You kicked a fuse out getting in/out of the car. Ask me how I know headbang.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 21 2009, 10:03 AM) *

wire brush the contacts

Not to state the obvious but you should really disconnect the battery before you wirebrush the contacts ...

parry.gif Andy
Smitty911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 21 2009, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 21 2009, 10:03 AM) *

wire brush the contacts

Not to state the obvious but you should really disconnect the battery before you wirebrush the contacts ...

parry.gif Andy

Well that could have started a whole new Question, of Now that it's FIRED up, how do I put it out.

Thanks all, I'll let everyone know the outcome.
Sleepin
That reminds me of the tip I read on here a while back, that a dual filament bulb in the passenger side turn signal will make it so the starter wont stop spinning...electricity, go figure.....

ok..hijack over... biggrin.gif
SLITS
Fuse #9 AFAIR.
Smitty911
You guys are just SCARY good.

I had kicked out Number 4 and 5 fuses. Replaced and now everything is working Except that Tach.

Thanks everyone.
orange914

Yesterday, I'm driving home and I hit the brakes, TACH starts swinging back and forth (normally does not work)

why did this happen too... weird
underthetire
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 22 2009, 09:38 PM) *

Yesterday, I'm driving home and I hit the brakes, TACH starts swinging back and forth (normally does not work)

why did this happen too... weird

Bad connection/broken coil in the tach??

Oh, and I got one right!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.