Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: occasional cltuch slipping?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partsman
As I returned from Lime Rock last Saturday, I got to within 5 miles of home after the 400+ mile round trip, and I heard a banging noise when I downshifted for the traffic light. I had heard this before, a little while ago, and it turned out that one of the bolts that goes through the trans mount had fallen off, and the trans was baning against the body... I though this was happening again, so I slowly drove home, and looked underneath... the rubber had completely seperated from the trans mount... and the trans was only hanging from one mount...

I thought that with the rainy weather MASS is scheduled to have this week, I'd pull the trans, switch out the mount, and finally find out why my clutch slips from time to time. It's really weird, when it's cold (outside, not the car) no slipping... as the temps go up, the slipping comes and goes. When we left Lime Rock, I was having trouble climbing the hills leading to the highway... by the time I got to the highway, I could pull a rolling start in third with no slipping at all...

Anyway... here's where I have some questions for all the Trans/clutch gurus...
I found that the ball the clutch fork rides on had loosened up, and I sure it rotated from time to time... could this be where my slipping was coming from?? (not to mention, it was leaking) I also shot some pictures of the clutch and so forth... it looks like the clutch was not being completely mesched with the flywheel and pressure plate? Why do I have some shiney surfaces on the disc, and some not so shiney surfaces... what did I do wrong when I put the engine in last year??

ANY AND ALL HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

and now, the pictures...

You can see the leakage caused by the loose ball mount..

Click to view attachment
partsman
how's this disk look.. is it too thin???

Click to view attachment
partsman
The side shot

Click to view attachment
partsman
the next two shots I took at an angle so you all could see the face of the clutch disk, and the shiney/dull face

Click to view attachment
partsman
I know it looks uneven, but I pormise you, it's not...

Click to view attachment
partsman
Here's the pressure plate.. it's smooth all the way across...

Click to view attachment
partsman
and the flywheel....

Click to view attachment
partsman
Another view of the flywheel...

Click to view attachment

So..please.. any suggestions...? Do I get a new disk, and bolt everything back in? Do I go the three piece usual kit? It's time consuming to get to this point, but not hard, but I just want to fix it once and drive the rest of the summer...I await any tips that you all can think of...

thanks,
Eric
r_towle
Get the pressure plate and the disk.
The disk is pretty rusty and probably was contributing to the issues.
Lube up the teeth on the shaft to ensure is slides nice...clean them with a brass brush first to get all the rust out of the teeth.

Tighten the ball. Use locktite.
Clean the bell housing.
It looks like the oil is coming from the motor and not the trans...sorry.

It does not look like a huge issue...just a typical 100k plus motor.
I have some tranny mounts if you need them, but I would suggest you get brand new ones...not used.

Rich
partsman
Thanks for the suggestions... I already have the trans mounts on order... I suppose I should pull the flywheel and have look at the rear main seal?
r_towle
On second look it might be the front seal for the tranny....

You could pull the flywheel and look, but it may also be the freeze plugs on the oil galleys...that would suck.

Take a look as the fresh spot of oil under the drive shaft on the tranny...it may be dripping from that seal.

Rich
jt914-6
While it is down that far, check the rear seal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.