Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield removal- Success
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Just what my title says. My parts car has a nice windshield. How do I get it out without cracking it?
Joe Owensby
I removed one by: First remove the trim. Then, take a wire (I used a guitar string), and insert through the butyl rubber. Then with someone on the other side of the wire, gently saw the wire back and forth around the perimeter of the windshield. I did this one day when it was hot outside, and the rubber cut fairly easily.
jt914-6
Of course the first thing is remove the trim. The windshield should be held in with windshield butyl. Get a very strong wire, without insulation not as thick as "mechanics" wire. Like a piano wire type. Run it through between the glass and frame. Wrap the ends around a handle of some type. You and a helper can cut the butyl by using the wire as a knife.
Glass houses have a device that heats up and they slide it around the glass seal and it melts the seal enough to remove it.
Ask a glass house how they might suggest or what they would charge to remove it for you.....
sww914
First- very important!
Make sure that you're not hungry or thirsty, you don't need to pee, there aren't any screaming kids or fighting dogs around, and that your blood levels of nicotine, alcohol, THC, caffeine, and anitdepressants are correct.
I use one of those new retracting blade utility knives, nice and thin.
Remove the trim, put a new blade in your tool and cut the butyl rubber from the inside, all the way around, at least twice. Don't push hard, the window should come right out when all the butyl tape is cut.
Drums66
[quote name='sww914' date='Jul 21 2009, 10:55 PM' post='1193947']
First- very important!
Make sure that you're not hungry or thirsty, you don't need to pee, there aren't any screaming kids or fighting dogs around, and that your blood levels of nicotine, alcohol, THC, caffeine, and anitdepressants are correct

that's a very good starting drill(LOL).......but I'll add one.
make sure your wife or girl is taken care of also!! idea.gif
plymouth37
Hire someone who knows what they are doing to remove it for you. biggrin.gif
Last time I tried to remove one myself it came out in 1-2 million pieces, that may have just been operator error though. sawzall-smiley.gif
Katmanken
I've broken two with the original factory heat softened adhesive strip with the heatable wire in it.

That stuff is like a brick when it's not heated.....
JRust
It was hot out which definately helped. I used a utility knife & just kept working my way around from the inside. The puddy/glue was soft & prety easy to work with. Success biggrin.gif . Other than the windshield being dirty it isn't pitted or cracked blink.gif . Nice OEM windshield for a backup
914four
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 23 2009, 12:27 AM) *

Nice OEM windshield for a backup

Are all of your parts from your parts car for backup or are any for sale?
sww914
Sweet!
I hope my zen suggestions helped.
JRust
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jul 22 2009, 11:35 PM) *

Sweet!
I hope my zen suggestions helped.

I was fairly loaded on Wild Cherry Pepsi. SO I think the caffeine level was good. The utility knife worked excellent also. Your tips worked perfectly beerchug.gif
edwin
unfortunately i broke my screen getting it out and i am based in Australia try finding a new one local.
on another car i knew the screen would be hard to get out so i got one of the best places in town to get it out. it shattered and still had to pay for the service.
after watching the "pros" do it i didnt feel so bad.
Edwin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.