Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ottox914
As many of you know, I've been on a quest to build a turbo type IV. I have sent Jake and Len some money and parts to be re-built, to as to build a better beast. I need to get the case split and get the crank and rods to Jake. The motor is torn down to just a case, rods, crank, and cam. I've got Jakes video and Tom Wilsons book. I tried the screwdriver on the front seal area as the video suggests, nothing. I tried 2 dead blow hammers per Wilson, nothing. I'm 99.9% sure I got all the bolts.

Anyone with some BTDT to share, or some secret trick that has worked for you in the past? I need to get that case split and on its way, along with the guts (crank and rods).
ConeDodger
Dave,
McMark has a how-to in the Lapuwali Classics Forum on just that subject. He enumerates the bolts, points out the hidden ones that get missed. I believe a few taps with a mallet splits it once everything is unbolted.
type2man
I'm .1 % sure that you are missing one or more bolts to split the case. There's some on the flywheel end that are barely visible and there's the small nuts on the breather box area. Also one on the side of the case under the pushrod tubes in the middle... keep looking, youll find them...
r_towle
Take a break.
Then go look and follow the case seam all the way around..keep looking.

Rich
Dave_Darling
Every time anyone has a problem splitting the case, it's because they've missed a bolt.

(OK, there are a few unfortunate souls who should have paid attention to the ten pounds of RTV glopping out of the seams.... wink.gif )

--DD
dangrouche
yeah i was splitting a type 2 case just for entertainment and it was gunked up with grime and thought it would split easily and was able to to pry it slightly like jake says in his video but it did not split and I found the last one near the sump. just folllow the seam tracing it physically with a pencil or probe. you'll find it
cwpeden
Take out the oil pump? huh.gif

ditto behind the flywheel
ottox914
Found the .1%. Case is split. Missed one (^*%@$# bolt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.