Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cranks over,no start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
funin74
can anyone help..my 1974 1.8 cranks over but doesnt fire,if you spray starting fluid into the intake/air cleaner it starts and runs for 2-4 seconds,i checked and it seems to have great fuel pressure,i cant hold back the pressure with my finger over the fuel line,i also just lowered the engine to seal some oil leaks while doing this i pulled the wires loose from the relay on the fire wall in the engine area behind the passenger seat,can anyone send me a close up picture of the wires the plug into it,forgot how they plugged in.
JoeSharp
First of all. welcome.png
Second, I don't know why someone with L-jet experence hasn't answered your question. I never had a running L-jet so I can't give you a picture. But I can give you a BUMP icon_bump.gif
VaccaRabite

Are your injectors firing?

Having pressure to the line does not mean a thing if the injectors don't spray when they are told to.

Do you have a haynes manual? it has the wore diagram that will tell you what wires go where.

Also, for future reference smile.gif remember to take a *good* picture of where the wire connectors go before you pull them out. Save a TON of time when you have to put them back.

But, there is a silver lining. Now you will get to figure out how to read those hateful current flow diagrams that they started using in '74 - and this will be helpful in the future.

Zach
Cupomeat
Ok, sorry for not jumping in sooner.

I am assuming that the car was running when you got it and now it does not?

The great fuel pressure you speak of, is that judged by you pulling a line and holding your finger over the tip while the fuel pump is running? How do you get the fuel pump to run (flapper box manipulation?) and do you know if the pump is running when you are cranking the starter.

As for the wires, there are three components behind the passenger (l-Jet) and not on the engine.

They are;
1. resistor block - It has all white wires going to it and it looks like a little multistage rocket motor, but it has a multi pin conector, so that is probably not what you speak of. it mounts under the battery tray.
2. The Multi relay - This is black and has 2 multi pin connectors going into it. It mounts under the battery tray.
3. The ECU brain for the FI - This has a huge multipin connector with many white wires, that should be mostly covered by rubber/plastic covers and mounts in front of the battery.

So which one(s) did you pull out? Or do I have it wrong.

Sorry, my L-jet is still in storage (new baby this year) so I can't go snap pix but if you could take one of the offending area, I'd can tell you more.

in the mean time, please make sure
1. your fuel pump is running either by gently moving the flapper in the AFC while the ignition is on or just cranking it with the FI intact. If the fuel pump runs than #2 is working and connected. It also helps to narrow down the focus of the search.
2. You have spark from your ignition while cranking. The easiest way to do this is to use an inductive timing lamp and put it on any of the SP wires.

Good luck and get back to me. L-Jet is amazingly reliable once the parts are connected and working.
Cupomeat
oh, and thanks for joining us, we'll try to help you out!

welcome.png
Cupomeat
Bump,

Have you resolved your issues?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.